Cleaning blow off tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beek

Reaction score
I have a 5 ft blowoff tube and have NO idea how to clean it. I soaked it in water and it's still nasty. Any ideas?

Jam the end up to your faucet (use your hand as a gasket if necessary) and run water through it for a while.

Is it silicone or vinyl tubing? I have a 5 foot line brush I got from my LHBS, works great...

I soak mine in very hot oxiclean over night, and I even made a tube cleaner with a long wire and a piece of a rag tied on the end that will clean it out nicely. I soak it in starsan for 2-3 hours prior to using just to make sure it gets a good soak in sanitizer.

I use pbw on mine i stuff in my bottling bucket when i'm cleaning it. They can get discolored, thats normal. doesn't mean its not clean

soaking it day(s) with PBW works great and I assume oxiclean will as well. Rinsing and flushing is bit of a pain. Faucet, tube cleaner and rag on wire are great ideas. But I find that if I've soaked it well and transfer it while still wet (!do *NOT* let it dry dirty!) to clean water I can usually coil and manipulate water through it and let the water drain out to such a degree that it is clean enough. And I always soak it in sanitizer right before using.

You've got to *really* let it soak though. And with a powerful cleaner.

Above is great advice. Usually if they get to funky I just go get another section at Lowes or Home Depot. You can get rolls of tubing or get it cut by the foot. Might be a buck or so if you go by the foot.

Dang I never thought of that. I ordered mine from Midwest. I feel like an idiot because I'm ALWAYS going to Home Depot. Lol!!

Yeah. I normally just buy the rolls because I like to change it out every couple of times. Probably not needed that often, but I am just kinda weird that way. Last roll I got was 20 feet for a little over 7 bucks at Lowes.

Mine has always been good after 20 to 30 minutes of soaking in PBW and hot water. I always have a backup tube ready to go just in case, though.

Hopper5000 said:
Is it silicone or vinyl tubing? I have a 5 foot line brush I got from my LHBS, works great...

That's awesome. I should of thought of that. Luckily I work in a chemical plant that produces vinyl. I have access to a lot of cool stuff for home brewing that I get at the five finger discount.

Back