Cleaning Beer Lines with Flow Meters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

interalia

Reaction score
I've had a 6 tap keezer with RaspberryPints w/Swiss flow meters set up for about 8 months working perfectly thanks to all the advice in the forums. After kicking a couple of kegs, I cleaned the two beer lines.

I daisy chained the lines to clean the lines in serial using a 1 gallon hand pump filled with BLC run through several times followed by warm water and Saniclean After hooking up new kegs, the flow meter on the line I ran flow backwards through is no longer registering pulses. No issue with the other line.

Anyone had this issue from running fluids backward through a Swiss flow meter? Searched the forums and looked at the Swiss flow site. Nothing indicates you will damage a flow meter by running flow backward at low pressure/flow rates.

Kinda surprised by this. I've been running a six pack of SF800s since the v2.01 kit with flow meter support was released - years ago now - and have had no issues. I clean my lines (and meters) with a pumped parallel rig using BLC or LLC (whichever I was able to buy).

I haven't run cleaner backwards but I find it hard to believe it would matter. And I'm sure I blew through a meter backwards at some point when testing my original setup - and you can spin the rotor waaay faster blowing through it vs running an ounce per second or less of fluid through - and didn't break it.

If I had a meter suddenly quit the first thing I'd look at is the integrity of the ribbon cable where it enters the meter body. That's a high stress situation and you wouldn't be the first person to have a meter die because of wire fatigue in that spot. It's an obvious enough issue that I tie-wrapped my leads back to the JG fitting on the input end so they never wiggle at that shear point...

Cheers!

Adding a data point to a zombie thread incase anyone else searches as I just did: I (accidentally) ran all five of my SF800s backwards while cleaning my kegerator. At least 2 liters BLC went through each SF800 pushed by 15 psi of pressure, followed by 500 ml of StarSan. Both in the wrong direction. All five SF800s are working fine afterwards.

Back