Cleaning a corny keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linusstick

Reaction score
I am borrowing a keg from a friend who hasn't used it in a while. I planned on soaking it overnight in PBW since I don't know how dirty it is. Should I soak the lid part with the rubber ring also? And how imperative is it to take the in/out poppets (?) off when cleaning? This will be my first kegged beer so I want to make sure I do everything to a T.

I take my posts off each time. It only takes about 5 minutes total, and I've pulled a ton of debris out of them! Take out the diptubes and hold them up to the light and look through them. If they aren't squeaky clean, clean them until they are!

I take my posts off each time. It only takes about 5 minutes total, and I've pulled a ton of debris out of them! Take out the diptubes and hold them up to the light and look through them. If they aren't squeaky clean, clean them until they are!

I don't have socket wrench deep enough to unscrew them. Guess I gotta buy one. Suggestions on size?

I don't have socket wrench deep enough to unscrew them. Guess I gotta buy one. Suggestions on size?

Different kegs vary. Most are 11/16 or 7/8 inch. If buying from scratch buy a 12 point socket. Some of the kegs are 6 point while others are 12. The 12 point socket will work on either while a 6 point will only work on the 6.

Different kegs vary. Most are 11/16 or 7/8 inch. If buying from scratch buy a 12 point socket. Some of the kegs are 6 point while others are 12. The 12 point socket will work on either while a 6 point will only work on the 6.

I have three different sizes, so you'd have to figure out which size you have. Or use the end of a box wrench and just turn it until it's loose enough to turn with your fingers.

I had a difficult time finding deep enough sockets. Just get a good set of box wrenches. You'll find them useful for bulkhead fittings and such as well. That way you have all three post sizes covered. For particularly tricky posts you can use a hammer as a pseudo impact wrench or rig up a cheater bar. I have only had one keg out of ten kegs that I needed to resort to those methods though.

Back