Clean in place recomendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cakey

Reaction score
Sorry, just realized this is probably the wrong place for this topic, i would move it if i could.

I am currently designing and sourcing the plumbing for a 3 vessel automated electric brewing rig. Currently I intend to do an all stainless steel permanent plumb. I would like to be able to clean the hot side of the process with a CIP function. Any valve that may come into contact with the cooled wort i plan on using butterfly valves for and dissembling to clean but would like to forgo this on the hot side.
My question relates to the feasibility of this, what type of valves should i use (Standard ball valves, sanitary ball valves, butterfly valves). Also the way in which the valves connect to the piping (NPT, triclamp, voodoo...)
Currently i use PBW or strait A cleaner (i can get strait A for about a fifth of the cost of PBW) and starsan. i already intend to switch to Saniclean but dose anyone have any recommendations on cleaners to use for CIP. I intend to have two (or more if necessary) chemical reservoir plumbed into the water feed to the HLT do dispense the cleaners. ideally the chemicals i choose will be able to be cycled more than once depending on soil level.

Sorry, just realized this is probably the wrong place for this topic, i would move it if i could.

I am currently designing and sourcing the plumbing for a 3 vessel automated electric brewing rig. Currently I intend to do an all stainless steel permanent plumb. I would like to be able to clean the hot side of the process with a CIP function. Any valve that may come into contact with the cooled wort i plan on using butterfly valves for and dissembling to clean but would like to forgo this on the hot side.
My question relates to the feasibility of this, what type of valves should i use (Standard ball valves, sanitary ball valves, butterfly valves). Also the way in which the valves connect to the piping (NPT, triclamp, voodoo...)
Currently i use PBW or strait A cleaner (i can get strait A for about a fifth of the cost of PBW) and starsan. i already intend to switch to Saniclean but dose anyone have any recommendations on cleaners to use for CIP. I intend to have two (or more if necessary) chemical reservoir plumbed into the water feed to the HLT do dispense the cleaners. ideally the chemicals i choose will be able to be cycled more than once depending on soil level.

Im putting together my system like this, you have to be sure that you can drain every line completely and that you dont have any dead ends for liquid to get trapped. I also plan on employing a booster pump (non-march/chuuger) that is only used for the cleaning cycle. This is realistically the only way that I can get the pressures/volumes needed for a really good cleaning

BTW butterfly valves are a truly sanitary valve meaning that when open all parts of the valve are in contact with the liquid flow so that they can be cleaned in place without breakdown

No ball valves are truly sanitary, when you see "sanitary ball valve" all your getting is a triclamp connection on the valve

If you want a true CIP, threads are a no go, so so your either gonna have to weld everything or use triclamps

Back