Clean buckets still smell like beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CamG

Reaction score
Hi,
I have never used plastic before just glass but in an attempt to build up my inventory I picked up a couple of buckets for fast ferments.

I washed them with PBW and then used Star San on them and let them dry overnight. I just went to do another rinse with star san before using them again and they smell like my last batch of beer.

Is this normal?
Should I hit them again with the PBW?

Thanks,
Cam

They are fine. It is perfectly normal for them to smell a little. It will not get into your new batch. Brew on.

As long as they're clean & sanitized, they'll be fine. Sanitizing with Starsan right before filling will keep the smell from getting in the new beer.

Yup. Even my bottling bucket smells... And it doesn't hold beer for longer than an hour at a time. I agree that as long as you've cleaned and sanitized throughly you're ok. You could also try leaving it out in the sun with the lid off for a few days. Should help with smell, but it will also require a through re cleaning.

You may even see some yellow discoloration too. As long as they're clean they're good. Sanitize and fill with new wort. :mug:

If it really bugs you, you can set them outside in the bright sun from time to time, it reduces the odor. It will also bleach them out some more while disinfecting them.

I've been using the same Ale Pails for 5 years, and they have a very unique odor to them when dry, and they're very yellowed from all the dark beers fermented in them. But all the beers fermented in them tasted just fine, including the Kolsch beer, which is about the lightest cleanest tasting beer I've ever used them for.

Latest posts

Back