Clean beer smell out of primary ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdaddy

Reaction score
Bottled this past weekend and cleaned out my primary (bucket) but not extremely well (I had a cold tub of easyclean sitting around from the beginning of my bottling process that I used to wash it out, at least getting out the krausen line and trub).

Anyways, it's been sitting for 5 days and while it looks clean, it reaks pretty bad.

Is there a way to get that smell out? Or does it just permanently smell like that from now on? More importantly, will it have any impact on my next batch? (that's all I really care about)

FYI - right now I have it soaking in 5 gallons of oxyclean...so I'll see if that helps.

Oxyclean will help a lot but there may always be a bit of a smell. As woollybugger2 said, it will not have any impact on your future brews.

Good question, I have worried about this before but never have had any adverse reaction in brewing.

It's been almost 8 years since I last used my fermenting bucket. The smell is completely gone now.:D

Seriously, it won't hurt anything. Gonna brew up 2 batches in the morning. Long, long overdue.

i'll add to the list of those with 'the funk' in their primary bucket and don't care as it hasn't affected any subsequent brews.

Back