Clawhammer, Grainfather, or Robobrew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nianticcardplayer

Homebrewing Since 2009
Reaction score
Good Morning All;

I have been brewing for quite a while and I am finally in a position to go a little deeper into my brewing and get some better and for lack of a better term more advanced equipment.

I have been doing a lot of reading watching a lot of youtube videos and with cost of equipment these three items have come to the forefront of my choices. I had a set of criteria that I wanted to follow and again it is why I have come to these three....

I would like to know between these three what do you all see as the good the bad and the ugly. I thought for a moment on the Unibrau but cost is what made me shy away at least for the moment. Here are my thoughts on each at least for me and if you have any additions or suggestions I am all ears.

1.) Clawhammer....Set up comes complete with heater, pot, controller, chiller plate, the hoses the connectors and the cords. Right now very reasonably priced (my opinion) small foot print and from appearances can handle a fair amount of grain and the water to go along with it. Also I don't have 240 volt access currently so being standard household connections are a plus. Seems to have the largest wattage heater at 1650 as well.

2.) Robobrew V3....this thing came on like gangbusters as the grainfather killer, again comes complete to include immersion chiller, programmable controller...1600 watt heater total...Cost very nice at the moment

3.) Grainfather...The one was introduced to take on the Braumaster and it has standard household connections and includes everything. I just wish they would do what the robobrew and clawhammer did and go with quick disconnects on some of there connections. Again this one the cost is creeping up again but still reasonable.

I know there are other's out there but for me the cost is to high and having to use 240 volts at this moment is a killer for me. Again any help greatly appreciated.

I put an order in for my Clawhammer two days ago so I have been doing the kind of comparison shopping you are doing now.

Honestly the biggest thing I found that folks are turned off by for the Clawhammer setup is having a plate chiller included instead of an IC. I have never used either so who knows maybe after a few brews on it I will come back here and join everyone with the screw the plate chiller idea but for the same reasons you mention I chose the Clawhammer. Footprint, power source, materials included, and quick disconnects in the kit. I watched many videos of the setup being used to brew and I found that it fit my needs most of all the kits you mentioned and at a price point I am comfortable with.

If you have a BK in addition to other equipment now, have you looked at simply adding on to determine if it’s cost prohibitive to get where you want to go vs starting over?

For example, I brewed 5 gal batches outside on propane. My goal was to move inside on electricity. To do that I needed a table, a burner replacement and a vent. The cost for those three items were far less than a new system and the learning curve was nearly flat.

Have you considered the Brewer's Edge Mash and Boil? It uses standard household connections and also runs 1650 v. Price is $300, but doesn't come with any kind of chiller, but if you already have a chiller of some kind, why purchase another one? I'd like to get one someday, but money is tight right now so I keep chugging away with my propane burner. Sigh.

I've had a Grainfather with the bluetooth controller for about 6 months. I started on it, so I can't really compare with other systems, but I've been pleased with it so far. It certainly makes hitting mash temps a snap, and is easy to use. Seems to be well put together, nothing feels flimsy or showing strain from use as of yet. I was initially disappointed that the controller was bluetooth instead of wifi, but the range on it is actually pretty good and I haven't missed it. It has a few foibles, but most of them are pretty simple to work around:

1. I've got the 110v (US) version, and while it does come to a rolling boil, I wouldn't call it a vigorous boil. My brew area is in the basement, so keeping it on an insulated pad off the concrete floor helps a lot. Some sort of insulating wrap around the kettle (either their Graincoat or a DIY wrap) is a must.
2. The filter inside is not clamped on out of the box, and it's SUPER easy to knock this off whirlpooling. Easy to fix with a clamp, but I learned this the hard way. I've seen another suggested mod putting mesh over the cap as well, but it hasn't been an issue for me.
3. No sight glass makes it a bit of a pain in the ass to check volumes while sparging
4. I have a love/hate thing going with the top and bottom plates - getting them in place without the gasket slipping off takes some practice.

Overall, I've enjoyed it and would recommend the unit

Hope this helps!

Can you elaborate?

Didn't heat as fast as he'd like, had trouble with clogging.....in the end, it is a hassle for him. I get that he was in a small apartment where the small footprint of an all-in-one system looked attractive, but as is always the case with these things, you're setting in stone the compromises every system makes, and you can't change them.

I've had a Grainfather with the bluetooth controller for about 6 months. I started on it, so I can't really compare with other systems, but I've been pleased with it so far. It certainly makes hitting mash temps a snap, and is easy to use. Seems to be well put together, nothing feels flimsy or showing strain from use as of yet. I was initially disappointed that the controller was bluetooth instead of wifi, but the range on it is actually pretty good and I haven't missed it. It has a few foibles, but most of them are pretty simple to work around:

1. I've got the 110v (US) version, and while it does come to a rolling boil, I wouldn't call it a vigorous boil. My brew area is in the basement, so keeping it on an insulated pad off the concrete floor helps a lot. Some sort of insulating wrap around the kettle (either their Graincoat or a DIY wrap) is a must.
2. The filter inside is not clamped on out of the box, and it's SUPER easy to knock this off whirlpooling. Easy to fix with a clamp, but I learned this the hard way. I've seen another suggested mod putting mesh over the cap as well, but it hasn't been an issue for me.
3. No sight glass makes it a bit of a pain in the ass to check volumes while sparging
4. I have a love/hate thing going with the top and bottom plates - getting them in place without the gasket slipping off takes some practice.

Overall, I've enjoyed it and would recommend the unit

Hope this helps!

Isn't there any sight glass solution out there. Thanks for the input. I have been looking at the Pico Z and the Grainfather. Still undecided.

Isn't there any sight glass solution out there. Thanks for the input. I have been looking at the Pico Z and the Grainfather. Still undecided.

I've seen a couple of DIY suggestions that could work, replacing the return pipe with a glass or silicon tube, but honestly it's just not that hard to tip up the sleeve and peek, I hardly even notice any more, now that I have my volumes nailed down a bit better.

The Pico Z looks cool, but obviously a huge swing in price (assuming you want to do equivalent batch sizes to the GF). To me the key factor there is how hands-on you want to be in the brew day. The Z seems like it's set-it-and-forget-it, where you'll still be doing manual sparging, hop additions, chilling and racking with the GF and similar electrics.

I've had the Grainfather for about a year and love it . Holds temp beautifully , solid and I love the bluetooth. I input my recipes on the app then start session and it knows what mash step and temps. Awesome thing . I was iffy on the lack of sight glass to see the level but I'm gonna tell you that the Gf app is dead on with the mash and sparge amount. Now I'm confident and dont think twice about the water amount .

Good Morning All;

I have been brewing for quite a while and I am finally in a position to go a little deeper into my brewing and get some better and for lack of a better term more advanced equipment.

I have been doing a lot of reading watching a lot of youtube videos and with cost of equipment these three items have come to the forefront of my choices. I had a set of criteria that I wanted to follow and again it is why I have come to these three....

I would like to know between these three what do you all see as the good the bad and the ugly. I thought for a moment on the Unibrau but cost is what made me shy away at least for the moment. Here are my thoughts on each at least for me and if you have any additions or suggestions I am all ears.

1.) Clawhammer....Set up comes complete with heater, pot, controller, chiller plate, the hoses the connectors and the cords. Right now very reasonably priced (my opinion) small foot print and from appearances can handle a fair amount of grain and the water to go along with it. Also I don't have 240 volt access currently so being standard household connections are a plus. Seems to have the largest wattage heater at 1650 as well.

2.) Robobrew V3....this thing came on like gangbusters as the grainfather killer, again comes complete to include immersion chiller, programmable controller...1600 watt heater total...Cost very nice at the moment

3.) Grainfather...The one was introduced to take on the Braumaster and it has standard household connections and includes everything. I just wish they would do what the robobrew and clawhammer did and go with quick disconnects on some of there connections. Again this one the cost is creeping up again but still reasonable.

I know there are other's out there but for me the cost is to high and having to use 240 volts at this moment is a killer for me. Again any help greatly appreciated.

I have the Clawhammer 240V setup. I LOVE it. They have the smaller volt unit for the typical outlet but I researched how much it would cost to put a 240V in my garage and it was $300. I purchased the cord, GCFI outlet, and breaker for the box. The biggest expense for this is the cord really and the GCFI outlet. I have contemplated getting the smaller unit if I decide to go somewhere else to are and just interchange the element. It's not hard. I anticipate getting a larger pot and having this will allow me to do that without having to get a whole new system.
Clawhammers customer service has been awesome too. I rank them up there with Apple to be honest. Anytime I have a question or needed something, they were on it. They are about to revamp their website soon and add more brewing stuff.
If you are on the fence, you might consider shooting them and email. They might can piece the kit together if you're not looking for the plate chiller or pump. They did mention that before in one of the videos I watched ( I think). I did get the kit as a whole, and just use my Exchillerator to chill. But I have a backup option now.
I've done a few brews on the system and really enjoy it. ( I had a 15gal. 3 pot system using propane). This system has shaved hours off my brew day with setup/cleanup/etc. Having the demo control has been great. I'll do a more through review in the future.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. Good luck.
Cheers!

I use the Clawhammer 120v. Besides the obvious drawbacks to being under-powered (time consumption on brewday) I love the system and can confirm what @Batteman87 says about their customer service. My kettle came with a pinhole in one of the welds and they sent me a new one immediately and I sent them the defective one. I am hoping to use this system for years while I upgrade cold side etc. then probably bite the bullet, get a 240v GFCI and get to the big boy rig.

I have the Clawhammer 120 and I love it.

Pros: smaller footprint than my 3 tier, everything you need (just about), easy to use, great customer service, online content for how to and recipes, everything was packed securely for shipping.

Cons: Takes a bit to heat up, my kettle came with a lot of machining marks and oil, the basket had a lot of wire mesh that was sticking out, poked me a bit, easy fix with wire cutters. I’d take off the “just about” if they included the heat wrap.

Overall, really happy with it. Now that my setup is indoors, I’ll be brewing a lot more. Resparked my love for brewing again.

120 v Clawhammer Supply system works. The chillers is easy to use. I agree that the boil is strong and I’ll leave the lid on with the basket holder clips on with the lid. Gets a good vigorous rolling boil. I’m thinking of getting the hot rod heat stick to get that raging boil. Change that. I really only want the added power to reach my temps faster. Boil is good enough.

Good Morning All;

May I ask what you ended up getting and how you like it? Thanks.

I've got a mash and boil and love it.
I like mine as well (with the pump) and use it with a BIAB in the pipe and reflectix for insulation. Although I almost wish I’d waited a year for the version II - the improvements are worthwhile. Frankly, I think the differences between 3-4 of the AIOs is splitting hairs unless 240v is important to you.
I was intrigued with the Clawhammer but decided it was out my budget range — but it looks like a great setup.

Last edited:
Anyone try the Brew Monk?
I have a Robobrew and want to add a 70l to my brewhaus seems pretty much like all the rest but the price is pretty good compared to grainfather, and robobrew.

Brew monk is a variant of those all in ones, looks very similar to hopcat, the others such as klarstein and robobrew / brewzilla / guten variants again.

I started with a robobrew 3 and then went for a guten 70 sold by keg king. Been much easier to work with, good efficiency as well. I have pimped it a bit but really happy with it. It is 240v 3000w. Agreed the grainfather seems overpriced, had the guten about 2 years and got it for 518 US dollars (equivalent ) the big grainfather was three times the price. The extra plumbing and a SmartPID controller and counter flow chiller and hop missile cost another 400 dollars I suppose but that wasn't up front they have been added in stages.

Brew monk is a variant of those all in ones, looks very similar to hopcat, the others such as klarstein and robobrew / brewzilla / guten variants again.

I started with a robobrew 3 and then went for a guten 70 sold by keg king. Been much easier to work with, good efficiency as well. I have pimped it a bit but really happy with it. It is 240v 3000w. Agreed the grainfather seems overpriced, had the guten about 2 years and got it for 518 US dollars (equivalent ) the big grainfather was three times the price. The extra plumbing and a SmartPID controller and counter flow chiller and hop missile cost another 400 dollars I suppose but that wasn't up front they have been added in stages.
I’m just going to do it :) $410 for the 70L here in China. Was thinking on the Gen4 Brewzilla but……

Attachments

• FBA7C439-F96F-456F-85C9-F58D67AEF266.png
    FBA7C439-F96F-456F-85C9-F58D67AEF266.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
I'm rocking the Clawhammer 120v and love it. Hoping to modify it to 240v with a custom controller ASAP, as 120v takes a long time to heat up.

The only thing I'd recommend is getting a bigger hop spider if you do big hopstands.
Haven't had any issues with it. Easy to clean and works great all around.

Back