Clarifying Agents

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MojaveRob

Reaction score
Just did my first batch of beer after about a 2 year layoff. I bought one of those MoreBeer brew sculptures and I love it. My question is in regards to clarifying. Due to my excitement about finally brewing I forgot to add my whirlfloc tablet and noticed quite a bit of grains that made it through the false bottom and into the boil kettle. Would it be worth it for me to add a clarifying agent now? If so, how much yeast will be settled out?

Just did my first batch of beer after about a 2 year layoff. I bought one of those MoreBeer brew sculptures and I love it. My question is in regards to clarifying. Due to my excitement about finally brewing I forgot to add my whirlfloc tablet and noticed quite a bit of grains that made it through the false bottom and into the boil kettle. Would it be worth it for me to add a clarifying agent now? If so, how much yeast will be settled out?

Also wanted to say I noticed quite a bit of hot break...

I don't think it's a huge issue if you forgot the Whirlfloc but it does limit your choices at this point in time. I think your options would be:

cold crash only (pulls yeast out of suspension)
gelatin only
isinglass only
combination of any of the above

I've only used gelatin and cold crashing together but have had decent success with that. It's easy and produces a decently clarified glass of beer.

+1 for the above advice: Wait until primary fermentation is over and then add gelatin to primary or when you rack to secondary.

I don't think that it'll make that big of a difference to your advice; but I'm using a conical and a single stage fermentation.

I might wait until after the diacetyl rest and lagering and see how it comes out.. Then if not drop the temp and cold crash.. If your not happy use a gelatin 3 days before bottling/kegging..

Back