Citra /nugget IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterTheBrew

Reaction score
I'm looking for opinions/advice! I am thinking of brewing an AG IPA with citra and nugget hops. Has anyone ever done this before and have any advice about the hops profile and or grains to use? I want to do a 5 gallon batch. Thanks!

I haven't used that combo before but sounds good. Citra can be overboard on fruit. The herbal/spicy character of nugget would provide a great balance. You have me thinking........

I love citra and did a citra pale ale using Amarillo in a FWH then a hop burst of Citra at 15, 10, 5, and whirlpool for 30 min at 170deg then dryhopped with 2.5oz of Citra and it came out awesome. PM me if you want the grain bill unless u have one all picked out. I went with 2 row, vienna, victory and C10 as I wanted a nice mid day lawnmower beer with minimal malt and bitterness but alot of fruity hoppiness, mission accomplished.

I'm on board. I have both on hand. My issue is, I don't know how well this is going to go. Nugget is pretty assertive. Citra is an obvious call as well but very different. This is one of those "it's so weird it could work" things.

Do it.

for 5.5 gallons try

12# two row pale or 16# marris otter
3# vienna if two row pale
1# crystal 60 or higher

mash 153 - 155F

2oz nugget @ 60 then start the fruit bomb
1oz citra @ 10
2oz citra @ 5
2oz citra @ 0
2oz citra dry hop(after 7 days in primary)

use english yeast. wlp002 or 007. aim for around 1.012 FG

If you're wanting to get any flavor from the Nuggets for balance, I would suggest adding some in near the end for flavor and aroma (maybe 75% Citra, 25% Nugget?) and/or switching the nuggets to a first wort addition so that you retain some flavor from them.. Adding them all at 60 is only going to leave you with bitterness and what little flavor remained would be way overpowered by the late Citra additions. I would also suggest switching the dry hop to 1oz of both Citra and Nugget or you may be wasting the Nuggets. Citra is a pretty potent hop! Keep us posted with what you try and how it turns out!

I have not used that combo but I use citra hops in a few of my pale ales and ipa's. I've used them in combo with a few different hops (summit, cascade, centennial,) and a few others I can't remember off the top of my head, but worked well with all of them.
Let us know how it turns out cause I have some nugget and citra hops in the freezer and def would not mind giving it a try.

I love the combo! I make something similar to Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA using nugget as bittering, mosaic and citra at 10 mins, and citra at flameout. Love the fruity citrus taste it has and been drying it out and playing with water chemistry to bring out more hop character. Getting thirsty just thinking about it!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hey, i'm waking up this tread to know how it went with the nugget/citra IPA? I'm planning to make a Witbier IPA with the same combo and would like recommendation from anyone who actually tried it :)

Cheers! :tank:

Back