Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cloud Surfer

Reaction score
I’m going to use these hops in my NEIPA. Whirlpool for all the IBU then two seperate dry hop additions. I’m not sure if a 1:1:1 ratio is the way to go with this combination. Should I make one of them the feature hop? What have you guys tried and liked? Cheers

I'm interested as well as I'm 48 hours into a fermentation of this combo. I did go 1:1:1 so maybe I actually don't want to hear otherwise!

Do you have the hops yet? I've actually found that you can rub them between your fingers, turning them into dust, with lots of smelling them throughout, and get an idea of what they will be like. From there your brain can perhaps think of which you like more and prefer more of.

While there is probably a "best" ratio, it really depends a ton on "who" is doing the evaluating.

I'm interested as well as I'm 48 hours into a fermentation of this combo. I did go 1:1:1 so maybe I actually don't want to hear otherwise!

Do you have the hops yet? I've actually found that you can rub them between your fingers, turning them into dust, with lots of smelling them throughout, and get an idea of what they will be like. From there your brain can perhaps think of which you like more and prefer more of.

While there is probably a "best" ratio, it really depends a ton on "who" is doing the evaluating.
I was going to order the hops in the next day or two. I usually only order what I need and not extra. Your hop dust smell idea is good, but I’ll need to order extra in case I decide to change the ratios after the smell test.

I was going to order the hops in the next day or two. I usually only order what I need and not extra. Your hop dust smell idea is good, but I’ll need to order extra in case I decide to change the ratios after the smell test.
Ordering your hops by the pound rather than the ounce is one place you can save a significant amount of money. They will keep OK in the freezer, especially if you have a vacuum sealer and vacuum seal them each time you pull some out....plus that way you have them on hand in case you want to make a last minute recipe change...

Ordering your hops by the pound rather than the ounce is one place you can save a significant amount of money. They will keep OK in the freezer, especially if you have a vacuum sealer and vacuum seal them each time you pull some out....plus that way you have them on hand in case you want to make a last minute recipe change...
For sure that’s a good idea. But here, loose hops are only 2 cents per gram more than bulk hops. I have probably the best LHBS in Australia only 40 minutes away and he gets fresh stuff in from around the world each week. So apart from a few bulk malts I buy, everything else I buy as I need and really like the freshness.

If you're at the shop, it depends on your budget of course, but you could grab a boat load of hops in the smallest amounts available and take them home to do some testing. Smash them between your fingers, soak them in a little bit of hot water, things like that. It's not the same as "beer" but can get you an idea of which ones you like the most. I think if you're deciding on a ratio of 3 hops, you could potentially do that in store as long as you buy them of course haha but you could also take another half dozen home maybe. Similar for grains, I did that once in store by taking about 20 plastic baggies and filling each with a cup or so of grain. Paid for the total weight. Got home and started smelling and crunching on them. Again not the same as them being in beer but learned a lot.

Citra mosaic and galaxy play nice together, you could really do any ratio and get a good beer. And you'll get all sorts of personal preferences so I may as well give you mine, 2:2:1 citra, mosaic, galaxy. Especially for the hot side, less galaxy there.
Picked up my hops, and after talking to the owner and a pro brewer, I just went with 2:2:1 Citra, Mosaic, Galaxy for 29 IBU in the whirlpool and 1:1:1 for the two dry hop additions.

Back