Citra IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

619Brewer

Reaction score
So the goal of this IPA is to tinker with some new hops that I've not tried, namely... you guessed it...Citra. Ultimately my goal is to have that clear crisp light bodied IPA that smacks you in the face with citrus and floral aroma and a balanced bitterness. I would love to hear your thoughts.

90 min Boil

13lbs Pale 2 row
1 lb Crystal 30L
1 oz Magnum (75 minutes)
.5 oz Citra (20 minutes)
.5 oz Citra (5 minutes)
California Ale Yeast 1 L Starter
2 oz Citra Dry Hop (7 days in Secondary)

Estimated OG 1.068-1.070
Estimated FG 1.010-1.014

Mash Temp 149F

I would add more Citra at flame out and increase the 5 minute addition. Maybe another ounce of Citra in the dry hop. If your looking for more of a pleasant smack in the face. Your usage seems moderately low to me. Also, see the thread on kern river Citra double IPA. I have brewed that about 3 times and love it. You might find some ideas to apply to your recipe. Cheers!

How did it turn out?

I cold crashed it over the weekend and just put in the gelatin and kegged it today. I'll know in a couple days when it's carbed up. If the aroma from when I was kegging it is any indication...holy cow this is going to taste amazing.

I tweaked the recipe a tad and added more dryhops. Instead of just 2 oz citra I added 1 oz of centennial along with it.

To answer your question it turned out delicious. Pretty bitter upfront then mellows out. I think if i were to do this recipe again I'd mash at a little bit higher temp to balance it out a tad, but delicious.

Back