Citra/Centennial/Amarillo IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the-crowing

Reaction score
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: The Yeast Bay Vermont Ale Yeast
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.50
Original Gravity: 1.068
IBU: 70
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72%
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 8.3
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 Days at 68

Grain:
13lb Pale Ale Malt
1lb Crystal 40L
.5lb Cara-Pils

Hops:
.75oz Warrior (15.7%) 60min
.75oz Centennial (8.9%) 15min
.75oz Amarillo (10%)15min
.5oz Citra (12.5%) 15min
1oz each Amarillo and Centennial, .5oz Citra at flameout. Whirlpool for 20 min

Mash at 152 for 60 min

Not too sure what I want to do about a dryhop. I was thinking about using the same amounts I used for my flameout additions for 5 days. Also considering substituting 1-2lbs of Pale Ale malt for Munich/Honey/Vienna malt. Any suggestions?

It looks like it should produce a nice beer!

If I was brewing this beer I would use a half pound of Caramel 60L instead of the 40L. Part of the reason is my LHBS doesn't carry 40L and the other part is I don't like a whole lot of caramel flavor in my pale ales.

If you are going for a maltier beer then I would use some munich or vienna but not honey malt. Honey malt is to be used very sparingly. 1-2 lbs would be way too much.

I like a ton of hop aroma so in my hoppy beers I prefer to dry hop with 4 ounces. I would do 2 oz Amarillo, 1 ounce Centennial, and 1 ounce Citra.

Citra, Centennial and Amarillo should be an amazing dry hop combination. Maybe 1oz of each? I'd let it dry hop for 7-10 days before bottling/kegging rather than 5.

Back