Cistern-fed zero water use recirculating chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rico567

Reaction score
Having reached the point where I'm somewhat uncomfortable pumping @30 gallons from our well each time I chill, I decided to employ a century-old cistern (decommissioned before we moved in nearly a quarter-century ago) for a zero water use chilling system. I will state for the record that of course I realize that this type of water source is not an option for most people, so if anyone wants to think I'm just showin' off by posting this, that's fine.
The decision was precipitated by the purchase of a backup sump pump. I got one that doubles as a utility pump by simply not plugging in the float switch, and bought a garden hose adapter for it. The pictures pretty much tell the story.
I used it for the first time today, boiling to 75F in 15 minutes.....evidently the cistern water temperature must be about the same as the well water, @55F.
The hose fittings for the chiller have been in use for some time.....I got tired of the hose clamps it came with leaking, and picked up the adapters at Home Despot.
My one concern was whether or not the boiling hot water coming out of the chiller at the start would melt the cheap vinyl discharge hose, however there was apparently no reason for concern.

chill1.jpg

chill2.jpg

chill3.jpg

chill4.jpg

That's awesome, make use of what ya got!

What the the ambient temp of the water? is it steady year round?

That's awesome, make use of what ya got!

What the the ambient temp of the water? is it steady year round?

I've got no way of dropping a thermometer down there, but from the time it took to chill, not perceptibly different from the 55F well water.....as I stated, it drops from boiling to 75F in about 15 minutes. And, if it's the same temperature as the ground water, I'm inferring that it'll change very little from season to season.

I'm going to bump this thread- the cistern went dry at the end of the Fall brewing season last year, so I had to turn back to well water, but there was enough in there this Spring so that I was able to do all my batches with ZERO consumption of water.

Back