CIP pump suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bg816am

Reaction score
Hello, I recently got a SS Brewtech 7gal unitank and I’m now looking to get the CIP ball that goes with it. What size/type of pump would I want to get for it? I currently use a Grainfather so I currently don’t use a pump at all and unsure of pump sizes/types/etc and hoping for something cost effective to use with it. Thanks in advance!

You might ask the folks at SS Brewtech, since the ball design can affect the power you need.

For my MoreBeer 7.5 gallon conical, I use a pond pump rated at 1/8 HP and 21 gallons per minute, which is more than adequate.

Hello, I recently got a SS Brewtech 7gal unitank and I’m now looking to get the CIP ball that goes with it. What size/type of pump would I want to get for it? I currently use a Grainfather so I currently don’t use a pump at all and unsure of pump sizes/types/etc and hoping for something cost effective to use with it. Thanks in advance!

20210315_124427.jpg

Got it at Home Depot, don't remember how much($45~$60, maybe?). I've got the "large ball" CIP mounted on a 3" TC and use it to clean a 7 gal. SS Unitank as well as a Chronical with a domed lid. It works great but honestly is overkill (CIP, that is, on 7 gal fermenter).

The pump output is nominally 26 GPH with a max output of 30 GPH if you're not pumping "uphill". The flow rate is fine but you have to make sure that the suction feed from your fermenter is sufficient to keep up with output of the pump, but that's true of any capacity CIP/pump combination. I draw from both the low point dump drain and the transfer valve drain on the fermenter, 1/2" silicon hoses connected with a "Y" fitting, to feed the intake port.

As a safety precaution, always have the ball valve open on the bottom of the blow-off manifold of your fermenter to equalize any negative pressure differential. Otherwise you could implode or otherwise damage your fermenter.

Brooo Brother

Thank you for the tips! @Brooothru why do you say it’s overkill? I’m looking at this from an ease of cleaning and being able to reach all spots of the fermenter for cleaning without having to contort my arm in weird positions to clean it all.

Thank you for the tips! @Brooothru why do you say it’s overkill? I’m looking at this from an ease of cleaning and being able to reach all spots of the fermenter for cleaning without having to contort my arm in weird positions to clean it all.
Don't get me wrong. The CIP does a fantastic job of busting through caked krausen on the fermenter interior and an acceptable job on the chiller coil. It also allows you to clean with about 2 gals of water and much less PBW than you'd otherwise use. It can do in :15 mins what would take :30~:45 mins of reaching and scrubbing.

What it won't do is remove all the devices and accessories from the TC ports and remove crud from the recesses between the fermenter interior and the TC ports. The sample port and carb stone port still need manual cleaning.

I also have to set up and connect hoses, pump, etc., to the tank. Not a big chore but it still requires getting more gear sorted. Before I even get started with cleanup I will put a bucket under the open butterfly dump valve and rinse down the loose krausen prior to hooking up the CIP, pump and hoses. It's not much of a stretch for me to figure out at that point that I could just fill the fermenter with water and PBW and let it sit overnight. Either way I still have to remove the TC fittings to get a thorough cleaning. Lately I've found that I use the CIP if I want to deep clean or store the fermenter for more than a week or two. Otherwise I clean manually.

One thing I do like to do is sanitize using the CIP ball. Just be sure to use low foam SaniClean instead of StarSan to prevent excessive foaming and cavitation of the hoses. I feel pretty good about the sanitation after shooting high pressure fluid verses a 5 minute contact soak. It also recirculates through the sanitary fittings and butterfly valves, and I'll cycle them while the liquid gets circulated.

So I guess what I meant by "overkill" is that the CIP does a great job. It's probably a necessity in a 1 barrel or larger system. It saves money on water and cleaner but not so much on time or effort, especially on a 7 gallon system. That said, I still like it and use it. Just not as much as I thought I would when I bought it. YMMV.

Brooo Brother

I’ve also got a 1/8hp cover/pond pump that I use for my CIP setup on my 7gal chronical. As is said above, it’s not going to clean in the valves and nooks and crannies, BUT, for me the idea was exactly what CIP stands for, “clean in place”. It does the bulk of the heavy lifting for cleaning the inside, I don’t have to ever pull the tank off my stand, and removing the valves and soaking them in a bucket in my kitchen is way easier than trying to clean the whole thing. Plus cleaning all the hop crap and Krausen uses a fraction of the water I used to use by filling it and letting it soak. I dump everything, run a hot cip rinse with pbw, then drain and run 2 clean water cycles. Once done I spray the inside with starsan, and wait for the next brew day

Back