cip keggle design?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grathan

Reaction score
I'd like to be able to scrub and drain my keggle without moving it using a garden hose.

A bottom drain would be ideal, but the propane burner would melt the Teflon seal I fear.

I can tip to hit the ball valves 2" up, but it's not ideal. I don't have a dip tube, but wonder how effective that would be with just a little wash up liquid to drain.

Does anyone clean their propane fired pot without moving it?

I do. You'll need a dip tube though. I capture my CFC chiller water in my previously cleaned MT and HLT, then pump it over to the BK using the MT/HEX return hose (I float silicone tubing on the mash for return). I can use this to wash down the kettle walls and then pump it out of the BK back out through the CFC to the fermenter filling port.

Do this in a couple of batches, use a green scrubby and paper towels until the BK is purdy. Then I invert the dip tube and flush the lines with the remaining hot water from the tuns. Add the bucket top vacuum to the equipment list for trub and spent grist removal, plus a dedicated water source and you'll never need to lift keggles again.

I don't have propane but I have an electric setup. The way I do it is pretty crude at best. I use a hose attached to my faucet so that I can get hot water into it. I use a bit of water with some PBW, wash out the kettle with my sponge and then I use a clean (bought it solely for the reason) mini wet/dry vac to get the water out. Then i rinse and repeat.

Nice, I hadn't thought of using vacuum.

I wonder if they make a compression type metal seal I can thread a valve or plug into the bottom without the tape. I guess I could just tig it, that way it would be flush.

Latest posts

Back