CIP Demonstration on an SsBrewtech 14gal Unitank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe_CraftBeerTraders

Reaction score
I did a few searches on here for CIPs and while there is information about building one and what type of pumps were bought, they were all a little dated (pre 2017). So I figured I would make a video of what our CIP setup looks like on our 14gal Unitank.

Parts:
Ssbrewtech Mini CIP with 3" TC
Cam locks
T with 1/2" barbs
Standard home brew pump

First we run hot water through the CIP and just dump to a bucket to get out majority of the big particles. Then we run 120deg water with PBW in a closed system as seen in the video above for around 20 minutes. For sanitation we still spray down the inside with a spray bottle filled with starsan. We attempted to run starsan through the CIP and will never do that again unless we are planning a foam rave party. I am curious if people are sanitizing with the CIP and what no foam solution you are using.

Curious to know what sort of results you're getting from that, Joe - I've got a pair of SS Brewtech 14gal Chronicals, and just picked up the CIP ball myself, but have read (repeatedly) that ye olde homebrew pumps weren't powerful enough to spin the CIP ball enough to get the gunk off.

There's a post floating about on here where someone put together the same setup for an SS Brewtech conical using triclovers and a Chugger Nano (has more disposable income than the rest of the forums combined!) who used hot PBW for 15-20, followed by Acid #5. Then during brew day, and a hit with SaniClean.

Curious to know what sort of results you're getting from that, Joe - I've got a pair of SS Brewtech 14gal Chronicals, and just picked up the CIP ball myself, but have read (repeatedly) that ye olde homebrew pumps weren't powerful enough to spin the CIP ball enough to get the gunk off.

There's a post floating about on here where someone put together the same setup for an SS Brewtech conical using triclovers and a Chugger Nano (has more disposable income than the rest of the forums combined!) who used hot PBW for 15-20, followed by Acid #5. Then during brew day, and a hit with SaniClean.
We used the cip mini which works great with the home brew pump. The larger CIP needs a sump pump or the mega pump. But the mini has worked well for us

Awesome rig! Sounds like you are getting good pressure out of your pump which is suprising to me.

I have been researching this pretty extensively for corny keg CIP. I got to the point where I took a chance on the blichman riptide hoping it would be strong enough for the job.
This seems like it may have been a mistake as the flow isn't much more than a trickle once it makes its way up the diptube.. I use my kettle as the cleaning solution reservoir which feeds the pump from the ball valve and sends the solution up through the corny diptubes.

It seems like the pump is not nearly powerful enough to handle the lift and smaller diameter of the dip tubes.

Do you think I may have better results using a the CIP Mini sprayball, setting the keg upright and having the pump be fed through the diptubes? Or will this likely cause cavitation due to the lower input through the diptube and higher output of the cip ball?

I'm about to return this pump and buy a sprinkler pump but I'd rather have the comfort knowing i have chemical/heat ratings matching my needs.

Any help much appreciated!

I did a few searches on here for CIPs and while there is information about building one and what type of pumps were bought, they were all a little dated (pre 2017). So I figured I would make a video of what our CIP setup looks like on our 14gal Unitank.

Parts:
Ssbrewtech Mini CIP with 3" TC
Cam locks
T with 1/2" barbs
Standard home brew pump

First we run hot water through the CIP and just dump to a bucket to get out majority of the big particles. Then we run 120deg water with PBW in a closed system as seen in the video above for around 20 minutes. For sanitation we still spray down the inside with a spray bottle filled with starsan. We attempted to run starsan through the CIP and will never do that again unless we are planning a foam rave party. I am curious if people are sanitizing with the CIP and what no foam solution you are using.

Sani clean is a low foam acid rinse that performs well in CIP applications.

What's the issue with using a sump pump in a 5 gal homer pail?

Most sump pumps cant handle the temps high enough for PBW to be most effective. That and they can leak oil.

I've been using one with great results though and I do keep my temp below 130. But I think I've started noticing a small amount of oil slicking on the top of the water post cleaning session. It doesn't take much oil to make a slick but I'd rather have none. The bottom line is that the high temp brew pumps are better suited to the task but the problem is getting adequate flow rate.

No, nothing wrong with a sump pump and a bucket. Just needs to spin the ball so you get the cascading action which does the mechanical cleaning. And handle the temp.

Iodaphor is a more easily available homebrew sanitizer thats low/no foam. Itll stain your hoses if you leave it a long time, but they’re fairly cheap anyways.

@SanPancho - You are right, there isnt anything "wrong" with using one. I use that very setup plus its dual purpose for keg cleaning. Frogger42 asked what the issue was. The only issue is temp and oil leak potential.

My sump pump in action on my Chronical:

My sump pump in action cleaning kegs:

pressure and temp are all thats required for the cip process, that was what i was trying to say. any issues with pump temp ratings and "oil" are equipment-specific, so cant generalize there. you obviously gotta pick the right part.

but having an oil slick is pretty funky. what did you find when you tried taking it apart? could it maybe have come from something in the bucket? havent looked inside a sump pump as far as i can recall, but maybe you can clean it off and use keg lube on the seal? at least its food grade at that point...

i guess the other option is to use a cheap non-submersible pump outside the bucket, but then you gotta rig a bulkhead and fittings, etc. not the end of the world, but maybe a little messier.

Latest posts

Back