Cinnamon Oil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeyWestBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm getting ready to bottle a stout next week and was thinking about adding some cinnamon oil to the last gallon or so. I've read tons of threads about people adding ground cinnamon or using sticks in the fermenter but can't find much of anything about people using cinnamon oil....At least for their beer. Does anyone have any experience using oil? Anyone have any thoughts?

About the only idea I have so far is to add it to taste a little at a time. Any feedback is appreciated!

Ever heard the expression that oil and water don't mix? Literally.

Use cinnamon extract instead. It's usually alcohol based that will mix with water. Oils also kill head retention in beers. I've learned this all too well when trying to use adjuncts with a high oil or fat content.

Though it has oil in the name I read they made it by steam distillation so I was a bit unsure how much of an oil it actually was. I guess a cinnamon stick in some bourbon is easier.

Back