Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Cinnamon Horchata-ish

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneImpBrewery

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
S-04
Yeast Starter
Nope
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
A clean pale ale with a smooth cinnamon finish.
Was trying for a BM Clone at first. This is not as sweet and has a smoother cinnamon taste to it. I will keep working on an exact clone but for now this is one turned out really well. Thanks to TheHappyHopper for your help on the recipe.
attachment.php

Fermentables

Amount Fermentable Maltster
10.0 lb 2-Row (US) Any
2.0 lb Flaked Rice Any

Hops
Amount Hop Time Use
0.5 oz Cascade (US) 60 min Boil

Yeast
Name Lab/Product Attenuation
Safale US-05 Fermentis US 05 82.0%

Extras
Amount Name Time Use
1.0 each Whirlfloc Tablet 10.0 min Boil
4.0 oz Lactose 10.0 min Boil
2.0 tsp Cinnamon (Ground) 5.0 min Boil
2.0 whole Cinnamon Sticks Addition Keg
4.0 oz Lactose Addition Keg

I ran around 70% effeciency with my setup for this recipe. Feedback and input is welcome.

Happy Brewing

-Imp

Sounds interesting. My wife really likes the BM Cinnamon Horchatta. I am going to try this. Anything you would change about the recipe?
Also Was the cinnamon added to Keg really over powering? Lactose in keg?
Thanks!

The cinnamon was surprisingly not over powering. It hit a curtain level and stayed smooth. The bm version has a sharper cinnamon flavor so for that you could increase the 5 min or add a tsp of ground to the keg and see how you like the flavor. If she likes sweeter beers I would throw 8 oz of honey malt into the mash as well.
Yep lactose into the keg. By the time you are carbed it should be close to clear. At 1 month I felt it was best.
Sorry for the late response. Let me know how it turns out.
Cheers
-Imp

I got my version of Cinnamon Horchata brewed using very much the same ingredients as above, except I doubled the lactose and used 1.75# minute rice. I hit OG at 1.59. I sampled it after a week and found some cinnamon flavor. I had my wife try it and said more cinnamon would be good so I left it in the primary and added two cinnamon sticks. I tried it again last night and the cinnamon is much more pronounced. I may need to add a little more in the keg but don't want to go crazy. I set the temp controller to 33 so today I will add gelatin and then keg and carbonate in a few days from now.:mug:

Awesome! Glad to hear and smart move easing the cinnamon. Let me know how the mouth feel is with the extra lactose compared to the bm version. Have a happy turkey day.

So mine was a hit last week at a holiday party. I did not add any more cinnamon or lactose to the keg. I had previously put 2 sticks in the primary. People were a little skeptical but they all seemed to enjoy it. We killed off about half the keg. I put the keg back into cold storage for now until a spot opens in the kegarator.

Last edited:
pjtime: Just crunched through the difference in the OG from 5.25 to 5gal and it would be .01 off. You could dial back on the 2-row by a few oz to make up the difference. I don't think it will have much impact on the taste though.
jbeerman:
That's Great! Glad to hear it turned out for you. I am going to try to reboot it with a sweeter finish and a harder punch of cinnamon and see how it goes.
Cheers!

Back