Cinnamon and Hops in a Cider??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martyjhuebs

Naked Gnome Brew Co
Reaction score
I am currently fermenting a 3 gallon batch of cider from juice concentrate. Instead of using the typical "cider" yeast, I reused a yeast cake from a pale ale that I made using Muntons dry yeast. It has been going for a few days so i decided to taste it and the upfront taste was normal but the after taste was not. It was at this point is realized my rookie move and remembered that the yeast still had hops in it. This was not unpleasant but wasnt in my plans. I had just finishing making a simple syrup recipe recipe with carmelized sugar and cinnamon to add to the cider.

Has anyone ever tasted a beverage that had a similar combo? Im curious to see how it would all taste but I also dont want to ruin the batch.

For what it's worth, I just started two test batches with some brown sugar and cinnamon, the first being a gallon with 1c brown sugar and 1tbs cinnamon, the other 1.5c brown sugar and 1.5tbs cinnamon, will let you know how they turn out if nothing else pans out.

I have used whole cinnamon sticks that were in boiling water before entering during secondary. I just transferred to the clean jugs and the smell was awesome. My husband commented that it smelled like a good perfume...made from cinnamon. I did not taste so I am curious how things even out in 2 weeks.

Since you did not boil with the hops, chances are you will be able to get rid of some of that hopness through bubbling CO2 into your finished mead. The aroma is very volatile, so just get it out of the product and enjoy.

You really can't tell anything about finished taste while its still fermenting.
I don't taste my ciders until about 3-4 months have gone by.
In your situation, I'd rack the cider off the yeast when it appears to have stopped, but keep an airlock on for another month or so, chill it down and rack it off again and see what the cider tastes like. I've used cinnamon sticks and the cinnamon character comes out very nicely. A little goes a long way.

Back