Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ferment cooler, Use yeast nutrient.

Yes, this.

I just managed to ruin a 3gal. batch of ale because the temps changed on me here in NJ. I don't use a temp regulated fermenter, I do my stuff at ambient in a kitchen carboy.

After a couple frosty days, I assumed the temps would be cooler. Boy, was I wrong. Had to pitch my beer. Instead of an anticipated 1.012 gravity, it soured into vinegar territory. Using crap leftover DME didn't help ... it was a year old, but them's the results when you take a chance like that.

Yes, this.

I just managed to ruin a 3gal. batch of ale because the temps changed on me here in NJ. I don't use a temp regulated fermenter, I do my stuff at ambient in a kitchen carboy.

After a couple frosty days, I assumed the temps would be cooler. Boy, was I wrong. Had to pitch my beer. Instead of an anticipated 1.012 gravity, it soured into vinegar territory. Using crap leftover DME didn't help ... it was a year old, but them's the results when you take a chance like that.
Yeah I have some old some and barley in a brown bag in my basement I was thinking about throwing a small batch together and see how it turned out

Stink smell is either hydrogen sulfide - caused by yeast that have been stressed with a lack of nitrogen and other organic minerals the yeast require OR is what are called mercaptans. Mercaptans are what yeast produce when their stress levels are left unattended - Hydrogen sulfide smells like rotten eggs. Mercaptans smell like spent matches. Hydrogen sulfide can be removed with the addition of nutrients (DAP or Fermaid K or Fermaid O) and by whipping air into the must (I assume we are talking about cider /wine here and not beer).
Mercaptans are far more difficult to remove - You may need to filter the wine through copper wool or add a sanitized copper penny into the carboy. The idea is that the copper will bind with the sulfur and produce copper sulfate. Easiest way to solve the problem of mercaptans is not to allow them to form and the easiest way to do that is to make sure that the yeast have all the nutrients they need as they proceed to ferment the sugars in the wine or cider or mead. Good luck

Back