Cider with Rapid Rise bread yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sent a PM to MBM asking how it went, gave a link to this thread.

I'm currently doing this experiment myself with two .5 gallon batches.

Each one contains:

2.72L (Minus a cup and a half) of Simply Apple. Absolutely nothing added, pasteurized though.
1/2 cup of brown sugar.
One packet of dry, rapid rise bread yest (Fleishman's, 8g per pack).

I poured about a cup and a half out of each jug after letting them warm up to room temp. Poured the brown sugar in, then shook them up nice and hard, let it settle for a minute, then pitched the yeast in. Screwed the top back on, and let them sit.

Within an hour I had MASSIVE action, it looked like a backyard 4th of July party in the middle of DC. Yeast was flying everywhere due to the CO2 being released so fast. I quickly realized that I was going to need an airlock or blowoff faster than I had thought, so I fashioned a quick fix out of latex surgical gloves, scotch tape, and rubber bands. Poked pinholes in the thumbs, then squeezed out the air inside. With the gloves having a vacuum, I then unscrewed the tops, which let the CO2 fill it up.

This was all started on Friday night, and over the weekend it kept up this insane level of fermentation. It calmed down on Monday afternoon, and as of now it seems to be finished with the CO2 release, the yeast cake is about triple the size it started out as. The juice itself is clearing as well, though the lees moves around a lot if you even gently move the bottles. Should be fun trying to get it out!

Total cost for a little over a gallon: $11. Made using only grocery store ingredients, without any extra brewers equipment. Obviously it could taste like crap, but this is all part of the fun, no? I've paid more money for less exciting entertainment ;).

Took a sample last night.

Tastes like Apple Wine. Very dry and tasteless at the start, but finishes with a huge hint of apple.

I shall let both bottles sit for a few more weeks.

my first batch of JAOM finished out at 14% abv, fleischmans bread yeast. fermented for 4 weeks, aged 12 weeks, GONE in 1 saturday! I will certainly be doing another batch with same yeast! no "doughy" taste at all after aging.

Hopinator- could you specify your recipe for JAOM, very surprising that you reached 14% using only Fleischmanns, thanks

Not surprising at all... Typical modern bread yeast will usually conk out pretty close to 14%.....

If you want the recipe for Joe's Ancient Orange Mead - check over on the Mead forum.... It's a classic!

My experience with bread yeast in cider is that it fermented *Really* hard and gassy.... I had trouble with Cider-gysers.... One batch ended up with white/nearly water clear cider that's still sitting in a jug in the basement.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back