cider with a ginger ale kicker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneDaniels1963

Reaction score
I finally got around to making some very simple ginger ale. It is very hot with ginger, which I like, but it is too sweet and low abv (don't know for sure, but guessing at 2% maybe 3).

So, on a lark I mixed it with some freshly brewed cider, my normal high abv cider that's about 7.5%. The combination was perfect! I mixed it about 2 parts cider to 1 part ginger ale. It moderated the sweetness just right, and the hot ginger taste gave the cider some real nice depth of taste.

I think I am going to make some more ginger ale just to have to mix with cider. It was a really good combo.

I usually use about 1kg of ginger per 5gal cider. I'll cube the ginger to 1/2 in cubes in advance and toss in the freezer. When im ready, I simmer the ginger for about 15min in a covered pot with just enough h20 to cover the ginger. After flame-out, i stir in any sugar addition, usually around 170 deg.

I have not tried adding ginger to the actual brew of cider, just mixing it so far. I might advance sometime, but for now making it separate is so easy and allows me complete control over how much ginger taste to mix into the cider. 2-to-1 (cider to ginger) seems about right.

I just started another 1/2 gal of ginger ale tonight. Should be ready to mix in a couple of days.

Back