Cider - When to add pect?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amnesia180

Reaction score
Hi All,

My cider has been through primary and secondary fermentation. It has been stable for around 10 days now - down to 1.005(ish).

I am beginning to think it is soon time to bottle, and then leave bottled for a few months before tasting.

However, I did not add pect at the start of the fermentation process - can I add it now to try and clear the cider some more? Or is it too late?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

You can add it now. It'll take longer to work than it would have if you'd added it up front, but it'll still work.

Thanks, can I add it now... then bottle in a day or two and let it work away in the individual bottles?

No, that'd be counter productive. The pectin will settle out as sediment in the bottles. The whole point of using pectic enzyme is to allow the cider to clear then rack off the sediment when you bottle.

It'll likely take a week or more. If you're looking to bottle now then skip the enzyme and enjoy some hazy cider.

Back