Cider Update!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brakeman_Brewing

Reaction score
so just about two weeks ago i started a batch of experimental cider as some of you may remember.....well im just writing an update that its off to a great start, noticeable clearing and the real kicker is that it smells like APPLE JACKS.

the same aroma as when you are half way through a bowl (minus the milk smell) watching wile e coyote chase road runner early on a saturday morning in your GI Joe pajamas......mmmmmmmmmm

how about that for a slice of fried gold?

EDIT: For those of us who have never had the delight of experiencing Apple Jacks cereal basically its really good stuff.

:tank:

I love the smell of fermenting cider... I wake up every morning and can smell it throughout the house... SWMBO loves it too, so I'm in luck there... ;)

its great, it really over powers the fermenting beer....which isnt bad to begin with so SWMBO stays a happy camper also!

Yeah, my Apfelwider smells awesome.

The airlock on my latest batch of beer smells like vomit. I think it was the california yeast.

Adolphus79 said:
I love the smell of fermenting cider... I wake up every morning and can smell it throughout the house... SWMBO loves it too, so I'm in luck there... ;)

ummm...yeah. Can't say that rotten eggs is on my list of things I love. Dunno what yeast you're using, but the WL English Cider yeast smells like rotten eggs (sulfur) while it's fermenting. My brew room is nasty right now...

Evan! said:
ummm...yeah. Can't say that rotten eggs is on my list of things I love. Dunno what yeast you're using, but the WL English Cider yeast smells like rotten eggs (sulfur) while it's fermenting. My brew room is nasty right now...

The Apfelwein is using Montrachet, and the New England Hard Cider is using Cote de Blancs...

I've got three gallon jugs of cider going, one Lalvin 718-112, one WLP300 Hefeweizen, and one Danstar Nottingham dry ale yeast (all the same brand of pasteurized unfiltered cider). They all smell great -- different, but great... The pumpkin ale burping in the corner (still going strong after five days!) smells like wort, but the cider smells like the glorious outdoors in autumn...

Back