Cider turned vinegary in the bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosco065

Reaction score
Hi there I brewed a cider as normal primed with sugar drops and let it sit in the shed for a month. I tried a bottle and it was good maybe needed a little more time to mellow. I tried another bottle a couple of weeks later and it had turned vinegary. Any ideas what has happened?

Did you sanitize with bleach? If so I would guess you didn't rinse good enough. A very small amount of bleach residue will do that. If both bottles were crime the same batch then that bottle wasn't rinsed enough.

The cider was still fizzy. I didn't rinse the bottles after sanitizing because I used the baby bottle sanitizer but I did first off clean the bottles with sodium hypochlorite maybe there was some of that left

Open another bottle, if its vinegar the whole batch may be contaminated. Most of the other posts are off because the cleaners do not add a vinegar taste, they add chemically taste, bacteria add a vinegar taste. Did you ever add any sulfites at the start or at bottling? You might be lucky and only a few bottles are not sealed well, or unlucky in that the whole batch was contaminated. Did you keep the headspace to a minimum during fermentation? Hope it was just the one bottle. WVMJ

I just used a Camden tablet at the start left little room in the fermenter. I only produced 5 liters so not really an issue for waste. It was my first attempt so not too much of an issue. Will get more apples the next season and try again.

Latest posts

Back