Cider Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drudini11

Reaction score
Started a 5 gallon batch Friday night using WLP775 English Cider Yeast. Pitched a bit cold but Active Fermentation started within 30 hours. Current temp in the room where the cider is fermenting stays between 66-73 (depending upon how long the wife keeps the wood stove going). Temp reading on the carboy is 70-72. My question.......now that fermentation is well underway do I leave the carboy in it's current location and maintain that 70-72 temp until main fermentation completes in another week and 1/2 or should I move the primary to the basement where it will sit at around 58 - 60 degrees constant....once I rack to secondary vessel it will go to basement just not sure if I should already start bringing down the temperature while in primary.

I'd put it downstairs if the temp doesn't get below 58f even at night. I have been doing my cider at 62-63. I think it will be pretty hard to convince those yeast to not eat those simple sugars!

Back