Cider Stalled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virginia_Ranger

Reaction score
So I have done the same cider about 5 times now and this round my FG has stalled around 1.013. Typically I will ferment down to 1.002 then rack, K-sobarate and cold crash it. I’m not sure what happened this time the only thing I can think of is I fermented about 3 degrees colder
(67 degrees) but I have brought it up to 72 for a week no new activity. Should I pitch more US 04 and if so how much?

As you're probably aware, S04 is highly flocculating.

Easy fix: Rouse the yeast by swirling the fermenter. Then give it another several days. Repeat if necessary.

Cheers

As you're probably aware, S04 is highly flocculating.

Easy fix: Rouse the yeast by swirling the fermenter. Then give it another several days. Repeat if necessary.

Cheers

It appears I hit max attenuation for US 04 which is 75% I had an O.G. of 1.054 (slightly higher than usual) and the FG for max attenuation would be 1.013.

It appears I hit max attenuation for US 04 which is 75% I had an O.G. of 1.054 (slightly higher than usual) and the FG for max attenuation would be 1.013.

Attenuation is meaningless with cider, all the sugars are simple and 100% fermentable (unlike beer & ale). The normal FG for S-04 is between 0.998 and 1.004 depending on temperature. Colder temps usually finish on the high side of that.

Attenuation is meaningless with cider, all the sugars are simple and 100% fermentable (unlike beer & ale). The normal FG for S-04 is between 0.998 and 1.004 depending on temperature. Colder temps usually finish on the high side of that.
+1

The attenuation specs for beer yeast are in reference to wort, which has some difficult-to-ferment sugars like maltotriose and dextrins, so most yeast leave some of that remaining.

Cider is made up of easily fermentability sugar, so the yeast can generally eat all of it unless the alcohol tolerance is exceeded. The main compounds remaining are sorbitol and malic acid.
1.013 definitely means there's fermentability sugar remaining.

Your S04 just flocculated before it was able to finish fermentation. It's temperature sensitive and drops like a rock when the sugar starts to get low when it's on the cool side of its range.

Cheers

Just cuz it stops at 1.013 doesn’t mean it won’t restart. Did you use any nutrients or a starter to build cell count? I’ve used s-04 down to 55 deg. F.

I did use yeast nutrient (per instruction on the bottle). I haven't shaken it, but not crazy aggressively but can try that when I get home! Good to know about the attenuation though.

Im glad im not the only one that this is happening to. I have a cherry cider using S-04 that got to 1.014 in less than a week (started at 1.057) but only dropped to 1.012 in the past week so i racked it.
Same thing with a couple ciders i have using nottingham. The blueberry only started at 1.040 so this is kinda depressing

Im glad im not the only one that this is happening to. I have a cherry cider using S-04 that got to 1.014 in less than a week (started at 1.057) but only dropped to 1.012 in the past week so i racked it.
Same thing with a couple ciders i have using nottingham. The blueberry only started at 1.040 so this is kinda depressing
Are you using a plain regular hydrometer?

And are you doing the temp corrections?
Also I have had a couple ferments that slowed but steady chugged along till they finished dry.

Fluid density (what the hydrometer measures) changes based on temperature.
Each hydrometer has a "calibration" temperature, at which temp the fluid should be when you use the hydrometer. If you use it at a different temperature, you need to apply a correction. You can use an online calculator or consult the documentation that came with your hydrometer.

However, the correction is small, so that's not the issue in your case. I suggest the same recommendations I gave above: Warm and rouse -- before racking.
For the cider you already racked, you can enjoy it sweet or you can add more yeast.

RPh guy, I just read your response to maylar and the last part might be my case. I ferment in my basement where it is normally in low 60s. Nottingham range is 57-70. Description said that notty is highly flocculant so maybe I need to ferment in higher temp next time. It is pretty much cleared already. It has been in primary for right at a month now. I like the taste where it is now so maybe I got lucky but it was weird to me I had 2-3 batches hesitating around the 1.014 area. Thanks for your input

Back