Cider SG Numbers...is something off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedneckBrewer

Reaction score
I have a batch of cider in the works right now, and it's been goin like crazy! :ban:

My OG was 1.050 and yesterday it seems to have slowed down so I took a SG reading and it was at 1.024. That seem high to anyone else? I'm shooting for about 1.014 so hopefully it'll continue to drop, but it tasted REALLY good. Semi-sweet with a dry finish, which is what I was shooting for, but I'm going to check the SG again on Saturday to see if it actually finished at 1.024. Anyone got any tips for dropping gravity numbers?

I used Safale-04 if that helps any.

Thanks!

from what i've gathered from this site is if you let cider keep going, it will ferment every single little last bit of sugar out of it and it will make it as dry as it can go. if you are at a point that you like, taste-wise, you could bottle now and pastuerize to stop fermentation and keep the cider exactly where you want it.

At least this is what i planned on doing with the cider i currently have fermenting.

I have a cider going for the woman too! I don't really have an answer but kind of a side question. Mine was kinda based on EdWort's recipe but I used less sugar (and brown) and started with an O.G. of 1.050 as well. I'm using a champagne yeast (Lalvin 1118)which I believe is supposed to ferment out very dry (close to 1.000 plus or minus). I assume apple juice must have 100% fermentable sugars for this to happen but can it still ferment out with ale yeast?

Back