Cider secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shiffty

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am brewing my first cider and with beer I will typically rack after 4-6 days in the primary. Should I be doing the same with my cider. Current reading of 1.020 and the kit says anything below 1.010 is complete. Recommended I ferment for 7 days and then bottle but that seemed too quick from what I'm reading. Temp is consistent around 66-68 degrees F

Some people don't rack to secondary at all. I wait until airlock activity slows to one bubble in 5-6 seconds, or about 1.005, then let it clear in secondary for another week and all bubbles are gone. I don't know how 1.010 could be complete... I get 0.995 at the end.

I do, usually. I'm not super vigilant about the timing, but I do tend to rack my wines, meads, and ciders when the fermentation is under 1.010 and airlock.

Some of my ciders have a TON of lees, while some don't, so that is a factor also. My last crabapple cider had about four inches of lees by the time it got to 1.020, so I racked and airlocked at that time. It depends on the apples, and the pressing, I'm sure. If I started with clearer juice, it probably wouldn't have so many lees.

I've never used a cider kit, though (never even seen one), so I'm not sure about how that works.

I've done it both ways now with the same recipe to find that using a secondary does clear it up a bit more.

I wait until 1.002 or so and then rack and let sit for about 20 days or so. After bottling, you can tell the difference. This is just my experience and I should mention, I don't use pectic enzymes.

Thanks guys. It's called Muntons Premium Gold Cider. Apple concentrate, malt extract, dried brewing yeast and water. It said 7 days to bottle but my reading is still off so can't decide what I should do. Bubbles have slowed a lot.

If the lees aren't bad and its clear I go straight to bottles. I usually wait 3 weeks and then test the bubble activity.

I can't see the bottom because I did a primary in a bucket so not sure about the lees. So 3-4 week primary unless my bubbles quit is what I'm finding from most research. And of course from you guys. Appreciate the help. I'm a noob at all this.

Latest posts

Back