Cider recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KBradt83

Reaction score
Im trying for a more full bodied cider. What should I expect from this recipe:

Per gallon of juice-
1/2 can FAJC
1/2 lb DME
1/2 lb raisins

Juice will probably be a cheap cider blend or Kirkland apple juice.

The second most important part of the recipe is missing. You've got fermentables - what yeast are you going to use?

When you say 'fuller bodied' do you mean mouthfeel or alcohol?

1 can of apple juice concentrate is meant to make 48oz of juice (12oz can + 3 cans water). You're adding half of it to 1 gallon of water which is 128oz (so a VERY VERY weak apple juice.....6oz juice in 128oz water which is 1:21 instead of 12oz juice in 36oz water which is 1:3) then adding DME and raisins. The DME will add some body/alcohol/fermentables and some body, and the raisins may add a bit to the fermentables but I'd guess more to the flavor profile than anything.

Back of napkin math coming.....don't kill me if I'm wrong:

That apple juice made per the instructions would have an OG around 1.050 give or take. Using your ratio of FAJC to water ratio, the 'juice' will be around 0.150 SG (1/7th the gravity of juice made per instructions).

Ignoring juice for a second: for an OG around 1.040 you'd need ~ 1lb of DME per gallon of water. Your 'water' portion is really apple juice at 0.15, so I'd say you need closer to 1lb of DME/gallon instead OR make the apple juice full strength and calculate DME from there......otherwise this is going to be really thin and really low in alcohol. If you use pound of DME/gallon of weak juice you'll be at around 1.055 + raisins (depends on what DME you have as well). This would be more like beer with some apple flavor.

As for the raisins.....I can't speak to what they'll add but I don't think they'll give up their sugar easily and won't add a large amount of fermentables.

I could be wrong here, but it seems low in sugars to me.

Have you checked out the Man I love Apfelwein post? It might be a place to read through and see what some others have done to take a known recipe to make a very very dry cider and add flavor and body to it.

I'd drop the DME. I haven't tried it, but unhopped graff with malt extract sounds terrible to me.
A wine or cider yeast typically won't properly ferment malt sugars.

Let me take a step back. The FAJC is for back sweetening. My base will be either a cider blend from a local orchard or just Kirkland apple juice.

My ABV should be around 7%. The ciders I make now are lacking depth and taste empty. I'm trying to find a good recipe to add something to the middle.

Back of napkin math coming.....
I think your math is wrong.
He's using apple juice as the base, not water.
So off the top of my head I think it'll start around 1.055 (from the juice), the DME will add 15-20 points and the FAJC will add 20-30 points so it'll be around 1.095, ignoring the raisins.

I think your math is wrong.
He's using apple juice as the base, not water.
So off the top of my head I think it'll start around 1.055 (from the juice), the DME will add 15-20 points and the FAJC will add 20-30 points so it'll be around 1.095, ignoring the raisins.

He’s not using apple juice. As my post mentioned and calculated - he is using frozen apple juice concentrate made much much weaker than the instructions (about 1/7th the normal mix rate).

As I do some back of the envelope math (I'm all out of napkins), you're looking at way more than 7 % ABV. I'll take @RPh_Guy OG at face value... that would put it around 12 %, assuming a FG of about 1.004. Apfelwine territory.

Let me take a step back. The FAJC is for back sweetening. My base will be either a cider blend from a local orchard or just Kirkland apple juice.

My ABV should be around 7%. The ciders I make now are lacking depth and taste empty. I'm trying to find a good recipe to add something to the middle.

He’s not using apple juice. As my post mentioned and calculated - he is using frozen apple juice concentrate made much much weaker than the instructions (about 1/7th the normal mix rate).

See the first quote, he clearly states that he is using apple juice/sweet cider as a base.

I swear it said water earlier......ignore everything I said. Yes, that added to a base of Juice will be much higher in alcohol....

now as to why I see the word juice and read 'water' I have no idea.

Back