cider recipe and secondaary fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fettersp

Reaction score
Hi im new to brewing. I got the northern brewer deluxe kit for Christmas and have the ipa squished fermenting in the closet at the moment. My other brother gave me a 3 gallon carboy that he had and never used. What is a great carbonated hard cider recipe? I would prefer to use store bought apple juice or cider and have the finished product to be slightly sweet, was thing of using xylitol when bottling . Last would I need to have a secondary fermenter? My 6 and 5 gallon are going to be used for the beer so I just have the 3 gal to work with. Ill be on this forum more often now that im trying out this hobby.
I posted this in the beginner forum first because I didn't see the cider part of the forum.
thank you

Cider recipe? Juice and yeast... Any type of yeast will work well. Some suggest S-04, others will suggest champagne yeast, even others still D-71. It's up to you. Xylitol would be the easiest option to back-sweeten at bottling time. You could play with pasteurization, but why stress yourself with that on the first batch?

The need for secondary is also open to many opinions. I use it to clear my cider and let it age. I typically leave it in the primary fermenter for about a month, and then transfer to 1 gal glass jugs with almost zero headspace (minimize O2 exposure) for at least another month.

Is there a certain amount of yeast to gallon ratio? Also I was told that you have to add extra sugar like brown and table sugar to it? And is there a need for yeast nutrients?

Take a look at Yoopers Cider for Beginners stivky at the top of the page. It will answer most of your questions and a really good place to start experimenting from.

Yep, as outlined by bucketnative, plus another somewhat long winded reply by me. But like you I also had to start somewhere and needed all the help I could get over the years to convert my first attempts into something worthwhile so this is what I have learned from others and from my own mistakes.

More recently I have carried out the primary fermentation in an open container covered with a cloth to keep out any nasties (and it makes it easy to keep an eye on what is happening without an airlock filling up with gunk), then transfer to a secondary container with air lock for as long as you like, once the primary turbulent fermentation phase has finished. This transfer is usually done after several weeks when the robust foam has gone away and SG has fallen from OG 1.050 or so, to something like 1.020 or lower. This approach is simply based on assorted good advice from other members of this forum, But I find it works well for me.

My "go-to" yeasts have been WLP775 and SO4 after trying several others. Both seem to charge through primary faster than I would prefer even though fermentation is at about 18C (65F) in my cool store. Closer to winter the temperature can get somewhat lower.

The mantra seems to be low (temperature) and slow (time) for fermentation. Jolicoeur talks in terms of months, but our climate in Autumn (Fall) isn't cold enough for this.

As far as sweetness is concerned, I have made a few batches with 10-20% pears added and the non fermentable sorbitol in the pears (4X as much as apples) does seem to impart a slight sweetness even when fermented down to 1.000. I understand that residual sweetness from apples drops away rapidly after 1.005 as the sugars are just about completely consumed at 1.000, hence the difficulty of making sweet carbonated cider "naturally". Be aware that adding Xylitol works well but it is toxic to dogs so it is worthwhile looking at other non-fermentable sweeteners as well, although some of them have a reputation for leaving a "funny" taste.

I also recently tried "stovetop pasteurising" with some success (read the sticky at the top of the forum). This involved bottling at 1.007 or so then pasteurising at 2atm (which was about 1.003). Low temp (65C/149F) and 10 minutes seems to be the current magic combination for effective pasteurisation. Jim Rausch's "cooler pasteurisation" method of 175F for 10 minutes is similar. A more "scientific" approach in Bembel's post of 11 May 2016 gives a very good rundown on how to use PUs (pasteurisation units) to achieve the desired target of 30-50 PUs by the appropriate combination of temperature and time.

Sorry if all this stuff about specific gravity seems a bit confusing at first.My "engineering brain" likes to be in control of the process, so even though there are some "rules of thumb" that work, as I was once taught... "if you can't measure it, it ain't real"! A hydrometer to measure SG will be your best friend because it lets you know what is going on so that you can do the right things at the right time.

Have fun.

Ill be going for the s-04. I think for back sweeting im going to try stevia. I think I will try pasteurizing later down the road because I want to try to keep it simple for now. Specific gravities I understand a little bit because I am in the process of researching that. I completely understand how you feel being in control of a process, im in my last semesters in computer engineering but my issue is it's hard to be in control when you fix a bug in a program and get a lot more bugs from that:smh:.
Do I need to add yeast nutrients or any kind of tablet?

Yep, KISS is the way to go.

I use DAP for the nutrient (about the same amount as the dry yeast) because that is all we have readily available locally. Others will have opinions regarding Fermaid etc. Ditto Campden tablets, SO2 etc.

Do I need to add yeast nutrients or any kind of tablet?
Nutrients can be beneficial, especially if you smell sulfur coming from the airlock. This is a sign that the ferment could use some additional free-amino nitrogen.

As for Camden tablets, with store-bought pasteurized juice; it's not necessary. It's really only necessary if you want to knock back wild organism in fresh-pressed juice.

If you're going to use a sugar alcohol to backsweeten use Erythritol over Xylitol. Erythritol is much less likely to cause GI distress (cramping and diarrhea) than Xylitol, but whichever you choose do bench testing and use only as much as you need and not more. Sugar alcohols draw water into the intestines and facilitate GI motility thus the symptoms and generally there is a threshold amount which tips you over the edge. Unfortunately that threshold is typically different among different people.

Back