Cider question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smartidiot

Reaction score
I started two one gallon batchs of hard cider 2 days ago (July 26th), and they took off like a rocket. They started fermenting shortly after I pitched the yeast and they were going really strong. Then this morning I checked on them and in one of the carboys there was a thick layer of sediment on the bottom, the bubbling had slowed way down(not completely stopped, just slowed like it had been going for 2 weeks or so), and the cider was looking way clearer. I've never had this happen two days in before, and the other carboy is still bubbling along happily.

Does anyone know what might have happened? Or have any suggestions on what to do?

It's possible that most of the fermentation could already be done and the yeast is starting to flocculate out. Did you pitch a starter or anything into that small a volume? If you have a refractometer it would be interesting to see how much % attenuation you have so far.

unfortunately I don't have access to such fancy equipment. I just did a hydrometer check and its at 1.006, so it looks like it is just about done! I've never had fermentation go that fast before! Maybe it's because it's the first time I used yeast nutrient? Either way, I'm not gonna complain :)

It could definitely be due to the yeast nutrient. That and the small batch size could definitely crank it out super fast. Especially if you just split a regular 5 gallon amount of yeast between 2 one gallon batches.

What yeast did you use? I'm gonna take a wild guess here and say Lalvin EC-1118, because of its aggressive nature.

What temperature did you ferment at?

UpstateMike said:
What yeast did you use? I'm gonna take a wild guess here and say Lalvin EC-1118, because of its aggressive nature.

What temperature did you ferment at?

Mine did the same thing with 1118. Nutrient and warmer temps make quick work of the sugars. Gonna rack soon and let it clear.

The yeast is Safale S-04, and the temp is right around 70. I know this is kinda warm, but I won't have a cooler place in the house until mid to late fall.

Back