cider or wine flavor, only been 72 hours should i worry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessBob

Reaction score
ok here is what i got this is my 2nd attempt. the fist time i had what came with the kit, a hopped can of extract and a kilo of suger, it was ok but not good. this time i used a recipe that had a lot of corn sugar it was 40 percent of the fermentables. it has only been 72 hours and i know im being impatient, but i had to take a reading to make sure somthing was going on and it is the gravity has droped from 1.045 to 1.015. the problem is it taste like cider or maybe a wine flavor. my question is will a longer ferment help this flaveor mellow out. my only other option is adding the pound of wheat dme i hav its about a 50 50 mix. but i dont know if adding this will help because the beer im brewing is a general ale with northern and cascade hops. should i worry yet or just be patient?
thanks
JessBob

I wouldn't worry about anything yet, but that is a lot of sugar to add, was that part of the recipe? Most people will say you'll end up with a cidery finish using lots of sugar but your yeast are still working. I wouldn't worry about adding the dme at this point, just let it do it's thing and taste it again in a few weeks when you rack, bottle or keg it.

At 40% simple sugar, I wouldn't expect a great beer flavor. But it might be better in a couple of weeks once it's finished fermenting and had a little bit of time to clear up some.

Next time, start with a better recipe (no simple sugars- use malt extract, hops, yeast) and you should be fine.

You could always add some hops at the end for a little dry hopping flavor, I did that with a lighter ale I wasn't really pleased with and it made it better. Just throw an ounce or so of hops in a bag in the fermenter (with a few sanitized marbles or something to help it sink), and let that sit in there for a week or two.

72 hours is REALLY young to be taste-testing. Most likely, the cider taste you are perceiving is due to Acetaldehyde. Give it more time, and that taste should subside.

But still, 40% corn sugar itself will produce some interesting results in the end product.

Back