Cider on the Kayak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kraizter

Reaction score
Hello all!

Anyone have any suggestions for bringing homebrew out on the kayak?

I do some inshore fishing in RI and am looking for a way to keep drinks cold without bringing a bunch of bomber bottles.

I have a small cooler but it can only really fit a bit over a 6pk of cans. I fish with frozen clams so some space is given up for food and bait.

Cheers! :mug:

You can re-use plastic PET bottles, and even carbonate in the soda bottles. They make ball lock cap adapters for forced carbonation, or you can naturally carb with priming sugar.

I sometimes will bottle a couple of plastic bottles and squeeze them to eliminate the headspace, so I can test carbonation level by how hard the bottle is.

Also, an insulated stainless growler should keep it cold for several hours.

We’ve used a small zippered insulated bag. Firs four bottles flat. Is a small reusable freezer pack or zip lock baggy with ice.

Platypus bottles. They’re flexible and when empty, pack flat.
I take 2 when I snowboard. One for apple jack, and the other with water. If I fall, it’s like having a cushion.

They are very versatile. When camping, you can fill with boiling water then wrap in wool sock, stick in sleeping bag and you have heat for six hours.

I swear I’m not their spokesperson.

I’ve also washed out those baby squeeze pouches and put mead in there. That works well too.

I forgot to mention- I probably wouldn’t try to carb in the soft bottles but if you’re careful, you can transfer carbed cider to the soft bottles before you’re trip. I’ve done it for many camping trips.

Back