Cider Not Taking Off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mojzis

Reaction score
I recently made a batch of cider that went well, so I picked up a gallon of peach & white grape juice to ferment. The side says pasteurized, ingredients are concentrate, citric and ascorbic acid. I assume the acids are the preservatives. I added 1/2lb of sugar and got an OG of 1.090.

I made a starter (very small) from some US05 yeast I had washed from months ago. I pitched the starter and waited 24 hours and nothing. I then pitched some freshly washed 05 and 24 hours later there is just about nothing happening.

I'm thinking either the preservative acids are doing their job or my OG was much too high. Maybe a combination of the two. What is an experts opinion? Got the wrong juice?

It's doubtful the acids are responsible for what's going on, and double pitching starters should have kicked this thing off. It is possible that fermentation is occurring without visible signs, what does your hydrometer read?

Also, maybe ask over on the wine forum as there could be something about peach & grape juice that's us cider folks are missing.

I recently made a batch of cider that went well, so I picked up a gallon of peach & white grape juice to ferment. The side says pasteurized, ingredients are concentrate, citric and ascorbic acid. I assume the acids are the preservatives. I added 1/2lb of sugar and got an OG of 1.090.

I made a starter (very small) from some US05 yeast I had washed from months ago. I pitched the starter and waited 24 hours and nothing. I then pitched some freshly washed 05 and 24 hours later there is just about nothing happening.

I'm thinking either the preservative acids are doing their job or my OG was much too high. Maybe a combination of the two. What is an experts opinion? Got the wrong juice?

Ascorbic acid is synthetic vitamin C. The preservatives you need to wary of are sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate as they can and most likely will inhibit yeast growth and development. It might be a slow ferment and or your yeast might not have all the nutrients it needs for a strong fermentation. You may want to try adding some yeast nutrient.

It's doubtful the acids are responsible for what's going on, and double pitching starters should have kicked this thing off. It is possible that fermentation is occurring without visible signs, what does your hydrometer read?

Also, maybe ask over on the wine forum as there could be something about peach & grape juice that's us cider folks are missing.

I'll try to get a hydro reading. But I know there's no leaks in the cork and airlock.

Ascorbic acid is synthetic vitamin C. The preservatives you need to wary of are sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate as they can and most likely will inhibit yeast growth and development. It might be a slow ferment and or your yeast might not have all the nutrients it needs for a strong fermentation. You may want to try adding some yeast nutrient.

I know what it is, which is why I purchased this brand (trying avoid anything other than vitamin c). I did add some yeast nutrient when I made it, about half a teaspoon of dap. I guess I will add more though.

I guess I think the acids are contributing to an acidity which is limiting the yeast. But it may very well just be I didn't add enough nutrient.

Edit: what nutrient do you use?

The acidity in the shelf stable white grape peach juice will not inhibit the ferment, this juice is made for drinking as-is, quite a balanced product. Your sugar addition of 1/2# to 1 gallon juice only contributed an additional 0.022 points, so your OG is not the issue. I have made the same wine, same juice choice, same OG, same yeast (though I used a new packet, not washed), Carlson brand yeast nutrient --and my ferment was visibly foaming with fine bubbles audibly popping on the surface within 12 hours, no airlock in use.

Take the bung/airlock off...the yeast wants/needs oxygen right now. Simply cover opening with a towel for now. Give the must a stir 1-2x/day, and assuming your temp is 68-70F you should notice signs of fermentation within the next 24-48 hours. Leave airlock off until your OG has dropped by 2/3, or around Day 8, whichever comes first.

The acidity in the shelf stable white grape peach juice will not inhibit the ferment, this juice is made for drinking as-is, quite a balanced product. Your sugar addition of 1/2# to 1 gallon juice only contributed an additional 0.022 points, so your OG is not the issue. I have made the same wine, same juice choice, same OG, same yeast (though I used a new packet, not washed), Carlson brand yeast nutrient --and my ferment was visibly foaming with fine bubbles audibly popping on the surface within 12 hours, no airlock in use.

Take the bung/airlock off...the yeast wants/needs oxygen right now. Simply cover opening with a towel for now. Give the must a stir 1-2x/day, and assuming your temp is 68-70F you should notice signs of fermentation within the next 24-48 hours. Leave airlock off until your OG has dropped by 2/3, or around Day 8, whichever comes first.

Will do. Thanks!

So I added more nutrient and yeast then aerated it even more and it finally took off (~4 days later from first pitch). Going quite strong now. I originally didn't worry about oxygenating because I figured I pitched enough cells so there was no need to replicate. Guess not. I should probably not be lazy and do the calculations next time.

Again thanks for the help,

Mojzis said:

I recently made a 5 gal batch with a dry lager yeast to ferment at lower temps. this time of year. After 4 days of constantly checking and talking to the lifeless bucket
Blup blup it happened ! Today is day 40 for this batch and its still a bubble every 20 - 30 sec. I'm curious if this will affect the flavor but I learned a lesson in patients.

Back