Cider not sweet and to dry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobrew

Reaction score
Made a cider with the following
4Gal fresh cider
2 lbs DME boiled in 1 Gal water.
SG 1.064
Used Safale 004
Made 11/07 tested tonight was down to 1.008 but it is very dry and not as sweet as I wanted it to be. Had a nice flavor. any suggestions as to sweeten it up some and do something to take the dryness away? When i'm talking about dry it is like a dry white wine.
any ideas?
Thanks

Yup. I literally just downed a hydro sample of 1.008 cider fermented with US-05.

A great no-worry backsweetener is Splenda. You don't want to go overboard with it, but used in moderation to add a touch of sweetness back to the cider, it's great.

It's 100% personal taste, no ratio to go by. It's not fermentable so it doesn't affect much of the science involved. It's purely your own taste.

If you're kegging (or like flat cider), you can neuter the remaining yeast with potassium sorbate and then sweeten with more juice.

Some maltose, like cara-fill-in-the-blank, has unfermentable sugars. When used in cider, it's called a "Graff" if you want to search more about it. It significantly affect the flavor of the cider, giving it more of a beer quality.

Back