Cider not fermenting - Campden cause?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgers

Reaction score
The first time I made cider I just took grocery "cider" (the cloudy kind but pasteurized i think) and threw in some cider yeast (smack pack). We thought it was good but a little vinegary. The forums suggest the solution was Campden tablets to kill the vinegar-making bacteria.

So for this batch I put one tablet in each of 5 gallon jugs of "cider" 24 hours before throwing it in the fermenter with the yeast (this time 2 packets of Safale S-05 american ale yeast. Nothing happened for 4 days. I thought maybe the campden had still been active and killed my first crop of yeast, so I put 2 more dry yeast packets in there on day 4. Now, another 2 days later (total 6 days) there is still no activity and the hydrometer still reads 1.050.

What is going on here and what should I do? I assume (hope) its still sanitary from the campden and not a lost cause. But how do I get it to ferment?

Jason

The first time I made cider I just took grocery "cider" (the cloudy kind but pasteurized i think) and threw in some cider yeast (smack pack). We thought it was good but a little vinegary. The forums suggest the solution was Campden tablets to kill the vinegar-making bacteria.

So for this batch I put one tablet in each of 5 gallon jugs of "cider" 24 hours before throwing it in the fermenter with the yeast (this time 2 packets of Safale S-05 american ale yeast. Nothing happened for 4 days. I thought maybe the campden had still been active and killed my first crop of yeast, so I put 2 more dry yeast packets in there on day 4. Now, another 2 days later (total 6 days) there is still no activity and the hydrometer still reads 1.050.

What is going on here and what should I do? I assume (hope) its still sanitary from the campden and not a lost cause. But how do I get it to ferment?

Jason

check the ingredient list- if there is sorbate or sodium benzoate (preservatives), there isn't much you can do. Campden (sulfites) don't kill wine yeasts, and I don't think they harm ale yeast so I doubt that is the problem.

You correctly waited 24 hours for the campden to dissipate. That is not your problem.

Are you sure this cider has no preservatives? Pastuerized is OK, but if you have preservatives, such as sorbate, it won't ferment. That sounds like your likely cause. It could be bad yeast, but not likely with several pitchings.

Make a yeast starter. I just did the same thing(accidentally used sorbate juice) and made a starter. Woke up thismorning with it bubbling out of the air lock!

Damn, you guys are good! Pulled this off the web this morning:

"Autumn Harvest Apple Cider is our Apple Cider recipe with an additional preservative that allows this product to be displayed on a store floor without refrigeration for a small window of time." Nutrition facts include Potassium Sorbate and Sodium Benzoate.

So after 4 packets of yeast going no where I'm a little skeptical about putting more in and getting it to work... something about the definition of insanity as doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Looks like I have 5 gallons of apple juice to drink.

Next time, after you find some better juice, dont add campden in the beginning if the juice is pasteurized. You dont need it and the yeast wont like it. If you are trying to control vinegar, the best thing you can do is avoid air contamination during the ferment. If necessary add a half dose of campden AFTER the ferment to kill any acetobacter.

Latest posts

Back