Cider not clearing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blasterooni

PIpe line is now well established
Reaction score
There's a first time for everything apparently! I have two ciders that are refusing to clear. It's not merely cloudy, it's almost milky, especially the Nottingham. Same steps used for every cider: cold crash, add gelatin, add bentonite if needed, and in a day or two it's clear. One was made with Nottingham, the other voss, and even different juice sources. The Nottingham was made with store bought juice, and added PE since it was unfiltered, Voss was with neighborhood apples including quince and crabs, and a little store bought juice to top it off. The Nottinghams tastes kind of yeasty, The Voss tastes pretty good. I racked the Nottingham into gallon jugs and put into a cool dark place to let it just clarify over time, assuming it will...

Has anyone had this happen? It's strange that it's two batches at roughly the same time...

I will just hijack this thread for another clearing question.

Just started cider making. My first batch cleared up remarkably after a few months in the secondary.
My second batch, made from a cloudy store bought 100% apple juice, doesn't seem to clear after several months in the secondary. I added a bit of pectic enzyme before I started fermentation, so that is not missing.

I want to bottle carbonate it, so I dont want to kill the yeast clarifying the cider.
I have some clarifying agent from a wine kit and I have heard of cold chrashing.
Should I just wait it out, or should I try to use chemistry of coldchrashing to clarify it?
And will that kill the yeast needed for bottle carbonation?
I could just bottle it cloudy, but if it then clarifies in the bottle causing extra bottle sediment, that would be nice to avoid.

Cold crashing just takes the yeast out of suspension, the same with the dining agents. Pasteurizing kills the yeast ;)

Back