Cider maker and hop grower in upstate NY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treeguy

Reaction score
Hi! I've been making wild-yeast cider for a few years now, mostly because I have a small cider press and a big apple tree in my yard. In the past I've always kept it very simple - throw fresh juice & some sugar in a fermenter, bottle after a few months or when I get around to it. It's always come out OK, but this year I'm trying a few things to hopefully get it beyond OK into the realm of "good"! I'm experimenting with some commercial yeasts, secondary fermentations, adding home-grown hops, non-fermentable sugars for sweeter tastes, etc. Fun stuff, and I'll probably post in the Cider forum as I have questions or results worth sharing.

I also enjoy interesting beers, but haven't made my own yet... As my collection of cider fermentation stuff increases, though, and since I have a few types of hops successfully growing in my yard, I'm thinking I might as well try a recipe kit! Maybe this winter when I'm all done with cider. :)

Hey, there! New member from Southern VT here. I call anything that isn't Long Island, The City and Westchester "upstate" but don't hate me. Went to college outside of Albany and my husband is from Central NY (Utica area).

Back