Cider help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjdsplace

Reaction score
Have a dwarf apple tree on my allotment which I plan to make a cider but I am clueless I have made in past a nettle bear and a real ale from a can so all the info will help (want it strong) thanks in advance

Have a dwarf apple tree on my allotment which I plan to make a cider but I am clueless I have made in past a nettle bear and a real ale from a can so all the info will help (want it strong) thanks in advance

Press apples, collect juice, pasteurize, add sugar, cool, strain into fermenter, add yeast, wait.

Any specific questions?

Cool got all that thanks. How much sugar and how to pasteurize sorry if sound dumb but im neewbie

Cool got all that thanks. How much sugar and how to pasteurize sorry if sound dumb but im neewbie

You don't necessarily need to add any sugar at all for the primary fermentation. Sugar in the primary, when you plan to ferment dry, only adds to the ABV, really, and doesn't affect the taste.

Instead of pasteurizing, you can use a combination of campden tablets and [some other substance i can't quite recall] to kill the wild yeast in your pressed juice. Pasteurization would do the same, but could potentially alter the flavor of the juice. To pasteurize, you'd need to get the juice up to about 155F for about a minute, then let it cool completely. A quick google search on pasteurization times will yield more exact times and temps. Just don't let the temperatures get too high.

Now, maybe take a look at the "First Time Cider Making FAQ" in this forum. It might have fallen to the second page of this forum. *gasp*

Good luck!

Do you know what kind of apple is on your allotment? What kind of cider are you wanting to make? THere are lots of different kinds, or maybe you just want to make apple wine? WVMJ

Dwarf katy and I just want somthing alcoholic so I thought cider

Orangepippin.com lists Katya as a cider apple so you are in luck. You need to crush the apples into a pulp and then squeeze out the juice. If you want to raise the alcohol level just sugar to the juice depending on the alcohol tolerance of your yeast. WVMJ

Back