Cider fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djonesax

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently decided to take advantage of an emptied fermenter after racking an ale to keg and made a cider with the left behind yeast. The cider fermented from 1.050 to 1.000 in less than 4 days. I'm not in a hurry or anything but I wondered, could I go ahead and cold crash it or should I still let it sit for another week or so before crashing it, even though it hit its FG already?

Thanks,

David

Why do you want to wait? It won't go much lower than 1.000.

If you're aiming to clarify, then wait a couple of weeks, cold crash, use finings, or do all the above for extra credit. If it were me, I'd move it along.

I would wait another week or two. If you need the fermenter space, then I'd consider moving it along.

I agree with solbes. Cider behaves (I think) much like beer and while the conversion of sugar to alcohol may have ceased there are chemical changes taking place quietly which will continue for months. You want to bottle the cider when it is still green, OK but waiting a month at least will result in a far richer drink. If you have patience to wait about 9 months much of the malic will have transformed to smoother , softer lactic acid.

I would rack it into a secondary and get rid of the stuff on the bottom. Maybe it will go a little lower but probably not with an ale yeast. But it can start clearing on its own. Then cold crash when your ready to bottle or keg it.

Back