Cider Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redlegtrh

Reaction score
Back in October I decided to brew a gallon of cider so I followed a recipe I found online that included some brown sugar, cinnamon stick and a few cloves. I pitched in some Montrachet yeast because that is what I had at the time.

After the fermenting stopped, I racked the cider into a clean carboy. I have no idea what the beginning and ending specific gravity was because I keep breaking my hydrometers. I tasted it at that point and it didn’t seem very strong so I pitched some more Montrachet yeast and let it ferment another month. It fermented a little then stopped.

My question is this...The cider still does not taste very hard cider-ish despite the fermenting I know was occurring. Any ideas of what I am doing wrong or suggestions to get a stronger cider?

Thanks! TR

You gotta stop breaking hydrometers. I broke 2 in one week then found a plastic one online. Without the numbers you don't know what you have.
What did you start with and how much sugar did you add? We can estimate starting gravity from that but only a current reading will tell where you're at now.

What do you want it to be like? More apple, more alcohol... what? Cider fermented with wine yeast will be very dry and tart. With 2 cloves in a gallon I'd expect it to be a clover bomb, they're very powerful. And fermented brown sugar can taste very bitter, I never use it.

I borrowed a hydrometer from a friend today. The specific gravity is 1.07 right now. I have no idea where I started, though. The recipe called for (I think) a cup of brown sugar added to the gallon. I did something less than that because the cider was already pretty sweet. For the first fermentation it was in the 55-60° basement. The second time I brought it to the kitchen when it was about 70°.

I would like something that is a little sweet but definitely less than the current syrup it is. I can taste the clove and cinnamon but it’s not overpowering. Not sure I would add it again, but it doesn’t suck.

I saw fermentation happening but all I can guess is that maybe the yeast packet I used was old and maybe not as active as it should have been but wouldn’t the yeast that obviously survived have eventually multiplied? Would cloves it cinnamon have affected the yeast?

I drank a glass of it today. Super sweet with a very slight twinge of alcohol. Not very strong at all. Thinking I will pick up a different yeast and re-ferment.

Apple juice is usually about 1.050, and a cup of sugar might raise that to 1.075 so it seems you have not had any ferment happen. I would repitch and maybe add a teaspoon of DAP.

A friend suggested that the cider may have had potassium sorbate added. I sure didn’t think about that when I started this process and I don’t know if that was the case. I’m going to try fermentation again and see what happens. If it doesn’t work I’ll try again next fall. Thanks for the input!

Where did you get the juice? If from a store and it was a seasonal item sold as "cider" then it very likely has sorbate added. If from an orchard that would depend on the orchard. You could call the orchard and ask.

If from a store and was not a seasonal item but juice or "cider" sold in the juice aisle then likely it did not have sorbate added. At least here in the US, I haven't seen sorbate added to any of the non-seasonal apple juices in my local stores.

Where did you get the juice? If from a store and it was a seasonal item sold as "cider" then it very likely has sorbate added. If from an orchard that would depend on the orchard. You could call the orchard and ask.

If from a store and was not a seasonal item but juice or "cider" sold in the juice aisle then likely it did not have sorbate added. At least here in the US, I haven't seen sorbate added to any of the non-seasonal apple juices in my local stores.

I guess the holidays are "seasonal" for cider, and what I'm seeing in the grocery stores says "100% Apple Juice" on the front label, and "potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate added to preserve freshness" on the back. A more promising possibility is if it's refrigerated, there's a chance it might not be preserved, but you still have to look. If it's at room temp cider would have to be preserved.

If it's at room temp cider would have to be preserved.
Does it have to be? The juice at my local store (sometimes called cider, usually always filtered) is not preserved, and at room temp. I'm presuming it's pasteurized and bottled while still hot at a factory, so it doesn't need any preservatives to store at room temp. This filtered, un-preserved juice is currently all I've made cider from. But judging from the OP's comment of waiting a year, I suspect this was not what they purchased, since this type of juice is available year round.

Seasonal stuff I've seen during apple season is what most people think of for non-alcoholic cider. Unfiltered juice. All that stuff at my local stores had preservatives and stated to drink within a few weeks, whether displayed on the floor or in fridges. I looked at all of that as I was hoping to snag more "fresh pressed" juice than the filtered stuff I'd been using, but it all had preservatives. Next year I'll plan on getting out to local orchards for unpreserved, fresh pressed juice.

Latest posts

Back