Cider fermentation; add more yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BGrace

Reaction score
Hello,
I have just tried a hard cider for the first time. I used an ale yeast recommended by my local homebrew guy. I have noted that the first few days have not been very noticable fermentation like my beer has always been. Is this normal? I notice the air lock water bubbling very slowly but not a sign of yeast floating on the top of the wort. I should add that I never added any sugar to the wort, just added a packet of yeast to 5 gallons of room temp cider. I was sure to pour it with good turbidity to allow oxygen in the mix.
Any suggestions?

Hello,
I have just tried a hard cider for the first time. I used an ale yeast recommended by my local homebrew guy. I have noted that the first few days have not been very noticable fermentation like my beer has always been. Is this normal? I notice the air lock water bubbling very slowly but not a sign of yeast floating on the top of the wort. I should add that I never added any sugar to the wort, just added a packet of yeast to 5 gallons of room temp cider. I was sure to pour it with good turbidity to allow oxygen in the mix.
Any suggestions?

Don't worry, cider fermentations are not as active for whatever reason. Mine didn't show much activity at all.

Btw, you should use the Cider forum for cider questions in the future.

Make sure also that your base cider absolutley did not contain any preservatives, i once did a batch of Edworts Apfelwein that had a "less than 1/10 of 1% of some ****" in it and the yeast pooped out very quickly.

Back