Cider Clones

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAlexander

Reaction score
Anyone have any cider recipes that mimick commerically produced ciders? My mother in law lived in Europe for a long time and enjoyed Bulmers and Scrumpy ciders and is looking for me to try and brew some up.

Another question: how does one control the alchohol content in cider when brewing?

Thanks a lot guys!

Connor

cloneing a cider isnt as simple as cloning a beer since you'ld need to know what type of apples they use and the type of yeast. This site may be able to help you out more then I could . . . http://www.ciderandperry.co.uk/

Persoanlly when I make my cider I just get a pasturized juice (NO PRESERVATIVES) and add some british ale yeast and let it go to work. I dont carbonate my cider either.

As for controlling the ABV it's all manipulated through the gravity just like beer. If ya want more ETOH then add more fermentables in the form of corn sugar or even juice concentrate . . . what ever floats your boat. I again just stick with juice and without adding any extra fermentables end up around 5-6% ABV

Thanks for the input. What type of juice do you use? Can you pick up any old kind of pasteurized cider at the local grocery store?

I used motts and walmart brand, no problems, it was pretty good, I just would not go over Ed Worts amount of sugar for a 5 gallon batch. You can drink it like its nothing, but the next day you will wish you didnt drink a drop....its strong!!

Any juice, even concentrate, will make good cider as long as it has no preservatives.

CAlexander said:
What type of juice do you use? Can you pick up any old kind of pasteurized cider at the local grocery store?

I use whatever 100% juice thats pastruized with no preservatives is on sale.

Back