Cider assistance needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonesie

Reaction score
I have a mangrove jack apple cider kit and I was planning to add some preservative free apple juice (about 8 litres) to improve the apple taste. The mangrove jack recipe calls up 1kg of dextrose however the apple juice has natural sugar.

Do I simply reduce the dextrose by the amount of sugar in the juice? (Approx 700grams of sugar in the juice so I’m thinking of only adding 300grams dextrose).

Thanks for the assistance

Last edited:
If you don't add juice, what are you supposed to add? Water? If so, sounds like your plan would work as far as sugar is concerned. Keep in mind though that it may make the acid in your cider higher than if you added just water.

Correct, the kit calls up about 22L of water.
Maybe a silly question but the juice ingredients has citric acid, what happens to cider with higher than normal aid content?

Correct, the kit calls up about 22L of water.
Maybe a silly question but the juice ingredients has citric acid, what happens to cider with higher than normal aid content?
Mostly it will just taste a little more tart. Apples naturally have malic acid. Citric acid, think lemon juice. Not saying it will be too tart to drink, just that it will different than the recipe. Not necessarily a bad thing.

Mostly it will just taste a little more tart. Apples naturally have malic acid. Citric acid, think lemon juice. Not saying it will be too tart to drink, just that it will different than the recipe. Not necessarily a bad thing.

Okay, great I’m going to give it a whirl and see how I get on.
Thanks for the advise.

Latest posts

Back