Cider and Sun (UV)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punkrawkgeek

Reaction score
I have my little set up in my kitchen, and it is getting to that time of the year, where we actually get some sunny days. I was just wondering, is cider as bad as beer, when mixed with sun light? Does it give it off flavors or anything?? I've looked about, but i couldn't find anything on it. Just scared for my little ciders. Might have to start hiding them around the house.

I believe that it's only the hops that react with sunlight. You should be fine. I always put my cider somewhere dark though.

I would be more concerned with temperature swings than anything else.

Ditto. Don't think you will have a problem with skunking, but, UV won't help in any way - try to keep dark if possible.

Thank you for the quick response. House stays the same temp, there and about. Not too worried about that right now. In the Summer, i will be. Thanks!

While it's not exactly the same as wine, cider can be light struck when exposed to UV rays for extended periods.

"Lightstruck wines are those that have had excessive exposure to ultraviolet light, particularly in the range 325 to 450 nm.[8] Very delicate wines, such as Champagnes, are generally worst affected, with the fault causing a wet cardboard or wet wool type flavour and aroma. Red wines rarely become lightstruck because of the phenolic compounds present within the wine that protect it. Lightstrike is thought to be caused by sulfur compounds such as dimethyl sulfide. In France lightstrike is known as "goût de lumière", which translates to a taste of light. The fault explains why wines are generally bottled in coloured glass, which blocks the ultraviolet light, and why wine should be stored in dark environments."

I always keep mine in the dark.
Regards, GF.

Latest posts

Back