Chunky bits in cream ale, whirfloc doing its thing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanHeroy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm on my third batch of beer and have made cream ale this time and hit something new. A day or two after racking I'm seeing cloudy white bits floating in the fermenter that I haven't seen when making my two previous brews. I'm not sure if I've done something wrong, if this is common for a cream ale, if this is whirfloc doing what it is supposed to do (this is the first time I'm using it, I know it's a coagulant, just not sure the results), or if this is a result of using a wine whip for the first time and properly aerating before pitching the yeast (hooray for the learning curve). Anyway, any info helps. Thanks all.

Sadly I've already racked to second fermenter, so no pics (would have been a good idea). No little white bits in second fermenter though.

Ah brilliant, that just how mine looked, although used rice instead of corn. Glad to hear it worked out well. Thanks!

clears up pretty good. :mug:
EDIT: This was wlp001

creamcrop.jpg

different strains of yeast act differently. some make those delightful little clumps like you describe.

Back