Chugger Pump Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EODtony

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I recently moved and was setting up my brewery today. I have a Kal clone panel and similar process. Here's my problem. One of my pumps isn't working and so I tested the connection at the panel it functions fine so I started looking at the pump specifically. It appears there is a short between the hot and common/neutral wires on the pump. At least my Fluke rang off when testing for continuity. Does this mean the pump is bad and I need to buy a new one?

Was it a dead short or did it show some resistance? Have you taken the pump head off to see if the motor spins freely?

Fwiw my pump didn't work after moving either, turns out there was some wort or some gunk in the head preventing it from spinning, took it all off and wiped down and it works

I'll check that and let you guys know. Thanks for the advice/other troubleshooting tips before I decide to go buy a new pump.

Stationary motor windings typically don't have much resistance so beep testing can give false results. Usually they give an initial beep and then stop. Has to do with inductance.

An actually resistance measurement can be useful. If you see less than 0.1 ohm I'd be worried about a real short.

Sorry for the late reply, I was in Manila for work. I pulled the head of the pump off and fired it up and the center spins just fine. I opened up the head and it appears clean. So I put it back on and it doesn't spin. Any ideas on what is causing that?

Its easy to test, stick a magnet or stir bar next to it to see if it spins(you should be out of the way in case it flings it off). My guess if you take the head apart you'll see that the water wheel thing that spins inside(and pushes the water/wort) is jammed...mine as i said had old wort somehow stuck on there that was basically glueing it to not move. A quick bit of hot water over it to melt that off and it works again. But if it spins freely your magnets may indeed be screwed up somehow.

Back