Chugger Pump Head Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeebas

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I am an idiot and in the process of planning out where my pump would go on my brewstand, I dropped my pump. This of course, was weeks ago and last night I wanted to give my system a run through before I brewed today. I turn on the pump and hear "SCREEEEEEEECH" (there was water in the pump head I am sure of it) It sounded more like the motor blades were hitting the metal casing (this was obviously dented from when I dropped it)

I tried banging out the dent with a hammer but it still shrieks when turned on. I have DIY'd / fixed many things, but I just want to replace at this point. My question is - I have a center inlet SS model. Could I just buy the polysulfone inlet model ($40 cheaper in most cases) and keep the current head that I have and just mount it onto the new pump?

The heads should be interchangeable but I'd recommend contacting Chugger and maybe you can work something out.

Well, the first place to start is to take the head off completely and run the motor. That will isolate your issue to the motor, if it is in fact the motor. Do this first and report back.

Noise can also be generated if the head and mounting ring got bumped out of center such that the cup magnet is rubbing on the back of the head. This can be adjusted.

I took the head off and it was definitely still making that sound. I suppose I could tinker with it / take it apart and try to figure out what is hitting what. What with having not brewed since February because of various household projects / building a new system, I am anxious to use my next allocation of "child free" tiem to actualyl brew and not tinker. Am I correct in assuming that I could just buy the polysulfone head pump and use the current head on the new pump?

Absolutely you can do that. All the pump motors are identical.

Try rotating the motor by hand by turning the cup magnet and see if you can find a fan blade that hangs up on something. You can sometimes tweak an individual blade back into clearance if that's what happened when you dropped it.

Strangely enough I tried what bobby suggested - manually turning the cup magnet to turn the motor - before buying a new one. I found a few fan blades that were out of place so I nudged them back away from the housing that they were hitting with a screwdriver and now it runs just fine!

Thanks Bobby_M!

Latest posts

Back