Christmas Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpipes68

Reaction score
So I want take an existing Christmas Ale recipe, not sure which one yet, and make it less sweet and more hoppy. I have always followed the recipes but I want to brew something original. Any suggestions on how to go about this?

Take out the sweet stuff. Add more hoppy stuff. That's a smart-ass answer but it's basically true.

What characteristics are you looking for? A big, high alcohol beer such as a winter warmer? Something with fruit and spices that invoke the holiday season? When you say hoppy do you mean hop bitterness or hop flavor and aroma? When formulating a recipe it helps to start with an idea of how you want the beer to turn out. That description will point you to the ingredients needed to reach that goal.

Post a recipe and you'll get more specific answers as to how best to tweak it.

I just did one that wasn't too sweet. Used invert sugar, but basically tastes like a dark IPA with just a small hint of sweet. It was my local brew stores recipe so don't have the specifics..

Latest posts

Back